• Show
Clear All

I got too optimistic........

I'm slowing down again

For the outlet -

Hot -> Neutral = 117.4VAC very steady

Hot -> Ground = 119.0 steady

Neutral -> Ground =1.2 VAC
    Last edited by ALBPM; 26 December 2004, 23:28.
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I know what your problem is: IBG...

IBG is the phenomenon that occurs when your problem lies above an Indian Burial Ground, ergo the IBG acronym.

It is probably an incoming signal strength problem in your area: maybe someone in your area is using an illegal Cable tap, and is wise to the Cable Guy's scanning efforts. Or, more likely, it could be a signal amp or other piece of Cable hardware is experiencing problems intermittently.

I doubt it is You.
      Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

IBG is about right

I've elimated this desktop system and everything else. It even happens with this desktop shut down and just a laptop connected via wireless.

The only thing that helps is to pull the power from the modem for a few minutes.
        "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Does the modem have a log?
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I can't access the log without the password.

Found the password.....LOL

here's the log from the last lock up.

Also the SNR gets bad before I loose connection

Last edited by ALBPM; 28 December 2004, 13:04.

Comment

Brain fuzzy, still need more coffee, but yes defiently looks as though its external to you.

No sync failures, no connection. It appears to be cycling through its available channels. maybe a noisy splitter somewhere.
              However, near the bottom of the first page, your router resets to unix epoc (1970/1/1) anything happen about that time?
              Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

it is an RF issue Paul, the Rx Power levels are too high (supposed to be close to 0 as possible for optimum connection according to NCTI training i went thru for current job)
                Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

You should have Comcast send a techie to check their installation / signal.

Comment

techie will come out Saturday to check their signal.

Comment

After about 2 hours replacing all the splitters and conections and boosting the Low End signal at their Amp plus giving me a brand new RCA DMC325 modem it seems OK again.

At first my Linksys WRT54GS router would not see the Modem....#%@%@%$@#

I had to go to the MAC Address Clone Tab and Clone the PCs MAC Address to get them to play nice.

Comment

What does the signal level report as?
                        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Forward Path:
                          Signal Acquired at 705.000 MHz
                          SNR: 38.0 dB
                          Received Signal Strength: 12.9 dBmV
                          Micro-Reflections: 32 dBc
                          Modulation: 256 QAM

Return Path:
                          Connection: Acquired
                          Frequency: 32.0 MHz
                          Power Level: 43.5 dBmV
                          Channel ID: 2
                          Modulation: QPSK

Comment

well, I got too optimistic again. When I got home from work Tuesday the modem had attempted to reset itself and failed.

I spent most of Tuesday evening trying to get the #$^^%#@ thing to reset and stay on long enough to get the router in sync and get online.

So, I tried something different. I plugged the modem's power supply into an upstream outlet and then called Comcast and had them reset the modem from their end.

Been online and even played UT2004 for the first time in over a month since I got it reset.

The generic power supplies that come with the rental modems aren't very good.

Comment

I guess my repeated inquiries stirred the pot enough.

The Tech that came out today said they had a big meeting this morning and they are having serious problems in the neighborhood. It may take them 2-3 days to fix the problems releated to the SNR spikes that I have been seeing.

The power supplies are also a problem and all he had for modems were the old Motorola 3100s. So, he said to wait awhile and call again to get another modem.

I may go buy a Motorola 5100 just to have a decent modem and quit paying the rent for Comcast's modem.

WOOT!!!1

Comment

Well it looks like other people have been complaining which helps. It will be interesting if they try to fix it or stick there heads in the ground and hope it goes away.
                                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                                X