Thinking of getting this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DentyCracker
    Maxtor is my HD manufacturer of choice (never had one fail on me) will consider the 250GB
    Unfortunately, it's the exact opposite for me. Maxtor drives in my experience either fail after 3 weeks, or work forever, but after a year or two start getting really noisey.

I've also started to dislike Hitachi (a.k.a. IBM) drives. We keep getting Hitachi laptop drives in multiple different batches that fail. Had one today that failed. The HDD only worked when it was at around a 45 degree angle.

WD drives are also very quiet these days, but they are pricier than Seagate. My next WD drive will be a Raptor. Otherwise I've become a big Seagate fan.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I'll take seagate first then WD second.
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Would be the same for me if it weren't for the Raptor. Raptor's are still considered enterprise workstations drives, and thus have a 5-year warranty as well My friend got one and says they are also very, very quiet (I suppose as quiet as a 10k RPM drive can be).

Comment

...Maxtor is my HD manufacturer of choice...
          You need to change that to Seagate my friend.

Comment

IIRC Foxconn bought Leadtek, which is why their boards use the WinFast name
            When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Re: Thinking of getting this

Thermaltake VA3000 Dream Tower Tsunami VA3400BNA Black Mid Tower Case With 400W PSU -RETAIL
              They should be going cheaply after what happened in Asia. Otherwise TT is solid, pricey and overly glitzy or blingish for my taste.

Lite-On 16X DVD Dual Drive, Model SOHW-1633S Black, Retail
              OK, though some might have other preferences here.

ZALMAN Copper CPU Cooler for Socket 775/478/754/939/940, Model "CNPS7700-CU" -RETAIL
              Zalman is overpriced. If you want better cooling go Thermalright or go Arctic Cooling or somesuch to save a bit.

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200GB 7200RPM P-ATA/133 Hard Drive, Model 6B200P0, OEM Drive Only
              Seagate has 5-year warranty, WD has 3-year warranty. Like others have said consider other drive.

Logitech Cordless Desktop MX(tm) for Bluetooth -RETAIL
              Great choice.

OCZ Enhanced Latency Series 184 Pin 512MB PC-3200 Platinum Edition - Retail X2
              In the past there were numerous reports about OCZ remarking chips, their products not working as test samples sent to reviewers, etc... Supposedly they got their act together now, but with other manufacturers such as Corsair, Micron/Crucial, Kingston, Mushkin, Twinmos,... I'd stay away from OCZ.

SONY SDM-S93 19" LCD Monitor –RETAIL
              Not expert on LCDs

FOXCONN "755FXK8AA-8EKRS" SiS 755FX Chipset Motherboard For Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL
              Had good experience with SiS. If board has more than 1-year warranty or you had positive experience with brand it's OK. For instance friend got 20 Matsonic (PCChips/ECS) boards for computer classroom out of which only one has failed within 2-3 years, system was under warranty and the failure was just onboard floppy controller.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz, 512KB L2 Cache 939-Pin 64-bit Processor - OEM
              Good.

Sapphire ATI Radeon X800 SE Video Card, 256MB DDR, 256-Bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "102-A26126-00-AT" -OEM
              Matrox < nVidia < Ati in my experience. Since Matrox doesn't have any gamer cards I'd personally go with nVidia.
              Last edited by UtwigMU; 4 January 2005, 17:13.

Comment

Another option for DVD burner is NuTech. They've been building a good rep lately among reviewers and are very inexpensive. Though I'm a Plextor guy personally. My Plextor drives have never failed on me, even my ooooooold 8X CD-RW.

Comment

not _buying_nv
                  I'll stick with me Maxtor thank you very much only last year i had a seagate fail on me
                  I really want a quiet case
                  Zalman is probably overpriced. Will go with a heatpipe.
                  Hardly have time for Linux nowadays
                  Hardly have time to use me computer for that matter
                  [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                  Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                  Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                  Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                  Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

maxtor good drives I would suggest the pioneer A08 tho for a burner, shikatronics memory also instead of ocz, lastly that Zalman is a huge mofo of a fan make sure you'll have room to mount it otherwise a thermalright120
                    and anything with SE in its name from ATI is complete crap!
                    but looks like its shaping up to a nice comp tho
                    DFI NFIIUltra 400
                    756Ram ATI 9550 256mem
                    Lite-On DVDR/RW/DL
                    Windows XP pro
                    msn messenger id: gchisel
                    Be aware that a halo has to fall only a few inches to be a noose

Comment

NV is not *that* evil, and ATI certainly are no angels either. (ATI has pissed me off with there BS)

But your choice is'nt bad either

Comment

Since you won't budge on the Maxtor thing, at least make sure you grab a MaXLine III. It's currently first on the StorageReview.com leaderboard for desktop hard drives (the Raptor is noted as the fastest, but because it has such a higher price-tag, it is considered the top high-end workstation/desktop drive). Their review is here:

Jammrock

Comment

All looks good to me.
                          Would rather pair a AMD with a Nv mobo for best performance, but SiS isn't bad either.
                          For memory, i would recommend corsair. Havent had any fail on me, and i've been buying them for years. very stable.
                          I also agree with a chobbing great heatpipe cpu rad and large slow fan for cooling if you are after silent, and wont be clocking. out of aluminium would be good for the weight issue...
                          PSU's...get what youre happy with. The computer will only use the power it needs, the larger the wattage capacity of you psu, the cooler it will run.
                          Any SE card from ATi is a non gamers card. Unless you are planning on trying to unlock the other 8 pipes (if there are any)
                          Should be a good performer anyway, and pretty stable.
                          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                          Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                          +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Oh, and maxtor isnt as bad as that, just format them properly when you get them. I quick formatted 3 drives i got, and they all failed within the year. After a 'proper' format, all is good, and they are still in use.
                            FYI i just bought 6 200Gb Maxtor 10 series drives. They are quiet, and pretty cool. when formatting they took about 15mins at least on my epia 1ghz, all 6 formatting at the same time. got pretty hot then, but since, all cool.
                            PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                            Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                            +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

I had the same problem with a 160GB Maxtor drive. I quick formatted it, and then when it got to about 80% full, it died. Since then I've fully formatted all my drives and all has been well. That's the first hard drive I've ever lost too. I've been pretty lucky over the years...
                              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I've only ever quick formatted my drives and never had problems. One more reason I don't buy Maxtor

Comment

Working...
                                X