Question for 2K/XP users about admin rights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for 2K/XP users about admin rights

This is something I've been wondering. In other operating systems like Linux, it is encouraged that you don't use the admin (root) account as your main account. Do you guys do the same in Windows - use an account with less than administrative rights for day-to-day work?
    Yes
    0%
    No
    0%

Too many windows apps and utilities require admin rights to work properly (it's a programmer fault, not a windows fault).

.Net is trying to implement a new security model for apps but it's pretty complex too.

Right now I use an admin account for my own use and will give users local admin rights to just their machine if they need it.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

If you're asking because you need to start managing a windows domain, I'd looking into using the domain policy manager to keep your users in check.
      P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Nah, this is just for managing my own PCs, including my servers and my sisters' PCs. I didn't want to give my sister admin rights because I didn't want her to mess anything up (I have to clean out spyware etc every once in a while) but too many things require admin rights to work these days, which is why I brought up the question.

Comment

Yes, I do. I hate logging out, or using "Run as" to install, remove, etc...
          "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Admin all the way, even in Linux.

Comment

If don't play games (DX needs admin rights), don't need to install new software and don't need to install new peripherals/drivers, you don't need admin rights.

You can go by with power user rights of even restricted user rights (but then you might encounter problems even browsing the web).

Comment

I use a different user (my name) with admin priveleges...

Jörg
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Same as VJ, new Admin account.

Comment

At home I use Admin but my machine is well protected(Firewall, Antivirus, Anti-Spyware) only I touch it, and I use Firefox and Thunderbird.

Comment

Admin full time, gave bro admin rigts also (no problems - even on his own box there's no spyware - told him not to install anything, not open suspicious attachments and he's using Mozilla as his main browser), however I have enabled password complexity, renamed Administrator accounts, account lockout policy, have both boxen with firewalls behind router.

No problems so far.

At one job I was local Admin on all boxes in our company as the Admin trusted me enough and I also took care of most problems that popped up.

At the other job everyone was local admin with no password or poor password on 2k/XP and there were even P4's running Windows98. All boxes had guest accounts enabled without password for network sharing (no DHCP, static IPs assigned to each machine), full web access, people were able to install software at will (webshots, precision time, etc...) and lot's of boxes were running gator. IE with no web surfing restrictions (proxy), everyone was sending shit over email. Of course all the boxes needed to be cleaned up once a month.
                      Last edited by UtwigMU; 30 January 2005, 11:00.

Comment

To impractical to use windows as anything but admin, and its how windows is made, not app specific. I use a renamed admin account.

Only su in linux when needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Byock
                          Yes, I do. I hate logging out, or using "Run as" to install, remove, etc...
                          If you setup your permissions right you never have to do this.
                          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                            If you setup your permissions right you never have to do this.
                            So how do you set it up so that a power user can run and install everything without giving that user full admin rights?

Comment

Belongs to group> Administrators
                              The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Working...
                              X