Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guru
    So you want a external drive right?

Have not had so much expiriense with them so I could not realy recomend one model over the other, the Lacie porche model looks good thou (dont know how fast it is)!
    External is not required but I would rather be able to transport it. I do have an enclosure that I currently use with an old HD but I do not believe it could handle the drive at full speed.

I'll have to review the choices a bit later. Does the Nero OEM suite contain Nero burning ROM similar to the 5.5? Or is it some cut down version?

Comment

Hi,

I tried the LG GSA4163-B and I think my was one of a "Monday production". I had 21 defect Discs out of 30 and I had to burn my 8x DVD-R with the 4xspeed to get an working disc.

I brougt it back an have now the Plextor PX-716A in an external USB2/FW Case and I am absolutly satisfied with this drive.

As to the NEC Burners, I also have an old 2500a and I also had no real Problems with it, but my "feelings" go with the Plextor.

DC

Comment

When the DL media cost less per 10pack than a DL DVD burner I'm going to get a new NEC to replace the one I got currently
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I'm skipping DL in favor of Blu-Ray unless we see some dramatic declines in DL media costs or if the HD media doesn't become competitive.
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Blu-Ray will probably be even more costly. Just about the only advantage HD-DVD had was that the process was very similar to DVD and they wouldn't have to retool as much.

And it's still a ways out.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Aye, and that is the biggest hurdle with Blu-ray. But Blu-ray has the best dual format (DVD and Blu-ray on a single side) and is by far the most future proof. I'm hoping in this Betamax vs. VHS battle that Betamax wins.

Jammrock
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Having Apple on board should make a big difference. I know they're a small percentage of the market, except their section of the market is generally the video editors. That's a nice help.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

What are the projected prices (per GB) of DL vs. Blu-Ray media in say 12 months? I need to store HD material and going from 4.7 GB to 9.4 GB isn't that attractive to me ... I need more. I'm up to 10 removable HDDs (besides the resident drive) that are typically 200 GB just to store SD video and such. Most of the HD material gets purged after I watch it but I'll want to keep more and more of it very soon ... then I'm going to be wanting to store 1080p video (Blu-Ray appears to be the only discs currently).
                  <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Got me. I didn't even think we'd see Blu-Ray that soon. At least, not blank, burnable media.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                      Got me. I didn't even think we'd see Blu-Ray that soon. At least, not blank, burnable media.
                      I don't know what the schedule is for user burnable media (haven't looked into this for months). I know that the 1080p TVs are normally demo'ed using Blu-Ray.

Comment

I have an LG 4120B, awesome drive, no broken disk so far (both DVD and CD), very little media protection. I heard the Pioneer has more copying protection, but the A09/109 does look sweet in terms of specs (-R DL)

Comment

1.12 What will a Blu-ray Disc recorder cost?

As with any new technology, the first generation of Blu-ray Disc recorders will be very expensive, but the prices have already begun falling. The Sony BDZ-S77 is currently priced at 222,000 yen ($2,150), while the Panasonic DMR-E700BD is priced at 189,000 yen ($1,830). The discs required to record high-definition video are priced at about 2,700 yen ($26) per disc. The explanation for the high retail prices is that the recorders are targetted for businesses and enthusiasts rather than regular consumers.

According to the Blu-ray Disc Association, the overall cost of manufacturing a Blu-ray Disc will in the end be no more expensive than producing a DVD. The reduced injection molding costs offset the additional cost of applying the cover layer and hard coat, while the techniques used for applying the recording layer remain the same. As soon as manufacturers start mass production of blue-laser components, which is expected to begin in 2005, the production costs should fall and eventually be within 10% of DVDs.
                          http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#1.12
                          Once prices shift from ethusist prices to early adopter prices I would put the cost at $1000 for a recorder and $10-$15 per recordable media (depending on manufacture and R vs. RW).

The first Blu-ray recorders are supposed to hit US shores in late 2005 in small quantities for early adopters and enthusiasts. Movies that are hybrid DVD/BD discs should start hitting shelves at the same time. Mass production with consumer grade equipment should start in 2H 2006 to keep up with HD-DVD.

Here's the kicker though ... the Playstation 3 will be Blu-ray, and MAYBE the Xbox 2 (Xenon, Next, whatever...) will have a BD drive in it. The PS3, being a console and all, simply cannot premier at more than $400, but probably $299-$349. So by then I would suspect consumer players to be under $500 and recorders around $1000...which should be 2Q 2006? Roughly.

So by Xmas 2006 I would estimate that BD stand-alone would be around $250-$500 for consumer grade, $750-$1000 for stand-alone recorders, and for PCs ... I'll put then 1x BD-RE (RW in CD/DVD terms) drives at $250. By then the 2x BD-RE's should just about be hitting and running for $300-$400. Conservative estimates. Media for ... $5-$10 for RE, and $1-$2 for R.

Jammrock the technology sage has spoken.
                          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I ended up getting a Sony DRU-720A
                            4XDL - 16X+R - 16X-R - 8X+RW - 6X-RW - 48XCD-R

Edit:
                            Bios updated to not have to do that annoying 5 second hold down eject button thing.
                            Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 14 March 2005, 00:43.

Comment

Well the first generation of CD Burners (2x SCSI drives) has also been very expensive - 1300DEM or so and they cost 20 Euros now, so once blu-ray hits mass production it will be as cheap as CD or DVD burners.

Comment

and that won't happen until years later. and by then when blue ray gets cheap there will be some new technology that costs a furtune.

That's tech i guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X