No announcement yet.

Opera for free!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Care to explain why one should be using HTML4 (except for saving the trouble, of course)? A friend of mine is writing a website, and he does it all in XHTML. Now, what reasons should I give when I tell him to throw away his valid code and start anew?

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I should clarify. If you're not willing to make sure you code is valid XHTML and you're worried about browsers displaying it "wrong" because of the lack of validity, then you should be using HTML.

XHTML is a bandwagon that most people really don't understand. They think it's simply a new version of HTML, when it is most definitely not.
      “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Originally posted by az
        Just off the top of my head: Tabbed browsing (although tabs are a dumbed-down version of Opera's full MDI), mouse gestures, zoom, extensive preferences (graphical; many more options by fiddling with .ini files), switching on/off images, user style sheets, focus on speed and security... These may not be options you use often or even like, and of course MDI and mouse gestures were not invented by Opera, but they were the first to integrate these into a web browser. Of course there are other things Opera has
        AZ
        well, I asked about innovative ones, so tabs and gestures are out even according to you...but:
        zoom - zooming images is bad bad idea...
        preferences - you mention this as innovation...but they're done badly, period. Seamonkey otoh is a nice example of extensive prefereces well made
        switching on/off images - you're kidding, right?
        user style sheets - moz first with extension, and has taken the idea much further
        speed? - see my problems...

Other things...name them You can, do you? :>

Comment

I should have been a bit clearer with my comment, I meant html, it's just that pretty much anything I create or have done for quite a while now is xhtml compliant (transitional) hence why I use that term.
          Last edited by dbdg; 6 April 2005, 11:12.

Comment

New thread. bahh!!!

Az check this out, my PC's been shit for the last few weeks, guess this isn't helping. Doesn't happen all the time Opera's open, can't seem to pin it down to a specific reason.

Re-installing Opera to see what happens.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dbdg
              New thread. bahh!!! ...
              Hey ... they're cheap.
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
              X