REALbasic 5.5 FREE but only until 4/15/05

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jesterzwild
    ... but given how fickle (F)OSS developers tend to be at times, ...
    Let me guess ... "(F)OSS" is the current TLA for FreeWare Open Source Software?
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Originally posted by xortam
      Let me guess ... "(F)OSS" is the current TLA for FreeWare Open Source Software?
      Pretty much. Some people like to muddle the two, but FOSS supporters are zealots more often than not - and when I say supporters, I mean those who believe in no other form of software distribution. Example: Linux is OSS, GNU/Linux is FOSS.
      “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

VBScript and VBA (VB for Applications) are still widely used in Windows and Office, so yes, the two in their various functions could be considered the main scripting languages under Windows.

Comment

I attended a lab at Microsoft about seven years ago and I was amazed that they used Basic to sample their ActiveDirectory functions ... Basic for Enterprise apps.
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I attended a lab at Microsoft about seven years ago and I was amazed that they used Basic to sample their ActiveDirectory functions ... Basic for Enterprise apps.

Let's not start an MS bashing session.

Seven years is a long time in computer terms.
            P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Right tool for the job.

And in a MS-centric network, VB is the right tool for RAD... at least it was before MS decided to kill it.

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef
                ... Seven years is a long time in computer terms.
                What is your point in context of my statement?

Comment

Originally posted by Jesterzwild
                  ... in a MS-centric network, VB is the right tool for RAD ...
                  I suppose they were mostly demonstrating quick RAD administrative apps rather than full blown Enterprise apps. You seem to reinforce the attitude of Microsoft supporters ... “Microsoft is the Enterprise.” I have a somewhat more broader view on what comprises an Enterprise.

Comment

What is your point in context of my statement?
                    Well, what were the viable RAD alternatives seven years ago? And where are they now?
                    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef
                      Well, what were the viable RAD alternatives seven years ago? And where are they now?
                      I was talking about Enterprise apps.
                      Basic for Enterprise apps.
                      What's all this with RAD?

Comment

You seem to reinforce the attitude of Microsoft supporters ... “Microsoft is the Enterprise.” I have a somewhat more broader view on what comprises an Enterprise.
                        I managed a network of Unix, Windows, and Mac systems, so my view has been rather broad

Hence the reason I used the term MS-centric, as that type of network would likely be the target of Enterprise-level VB apps.

Comment

What's all this with RAD?
                          Rapid Application Development. Comes in handy when you don't have the time to mess with other languages (that don't foster RAD) that double or more the development time of a solution.

For network admins, especially in a MS-centric (there's the term again) network, VB comes in handy as a RAD tool. Follows the same reasoning as Unix admins do for using PERL and such.

Comment

I know what RAD is. My point is I was talking about Enterprise apps ... and not simply Microsoft networks.

Comment

Yes well, you were talking about a MS lab and their use of VB with Enterprise apps. Where RAD fits in there seems rather obvious to me.

Comment

RAD then you want Delphi/Kylix for windows/linux
                                Now that is a proper RAD tool

Comment

Working...
                                X