Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opera 8 finished! (Ha! Got ya, Paddy ;))

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Code:
    [url]http://www.*****.com/products/desktop/index.dml?platform=mac[/url]
    Hmmm.....
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Yes, looks like someone abused his powers to either get his message that he doesn't like 0pera across or to make a bad joke

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Actually it was a joke, and to make a point.
        I dislike zelotry of all forms.
        That and well, I can name two other moderators, who use opera, that got a good laugh out of it.

lighten up
        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Well, I was a bit bitter yesterday, I probably wouldn't have said anything today.

BUT: I am not any more zealous for Opera than you are against it; I certainly am a lot less zealous than the many FF troll kiddies (of which we thankfuly have none here). I said nothing when you edited my user title to bash my browser (and took away the "Moderator" designation while I was at it). I have a very modest small graphic in my sig, which was a text link before HTML and CSS were disabled (which is OK and has nothng to do with this). It links directly to the Opera site, it is not even a referral link which I could get money or a free license from. I only post threads when something big happens in the Opera community (new Beta, free licenses), and post tips and tricks from time to time. I only post in FF threads about Opera when something "new" in FF is celebrated that Opera had for years. I'm not saying FF is a bad browser, and I'll readily admit it has a few nice features like extensions and adblock, and it is a nice browser for many people I'm sure, but obviously, Opera has something that's more important to me than that or I would have switched.

Lighten up about me liking my browser and being helpful to people who like it as well.

AZ
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

It was rather funny

I woulndn't consider Sasq a zealot against it, he just thinks it's a bugger to program for, which it is. My bro and I have been working on my story center module and we had to change several items in the programming to get it working with Opera. But since I like Opera so much I was willing to work at getting it all working.

Opera is an awesome browser, but it does have it quirks. And some of them can be annoying. But despite that I still use Opera as my primary browser because for me the positives out weight the negatives.

Jammrock
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Opera IS a good browser, and your devotion to it Az does provide a lot of scope for jokes and general foolery. If it was not a good browser it would no fun at all to kid with you.

But you always got to go and make an Opera about opera

Comment

I'm surprised we're MURC and no one has noticed the bug involving desktop Management (Pdesk HF) and Opera:
                In windows classic theme (WindowsXP) Opera fails to start unless Maximize windows in specific display is unchecked in PowerdeskHF (Desktop management->Application Specific settings).

Otherwise I like 8.0 - much less toolbar and icon clutter out of box, much better and more organised preferences dialog, clear everything button like in Firefox, popups are disabled by default.
                Attached Files

Comment

Also has anyone tried playing with voice, so far it's very cool (although not as useful/fast as keyboard/mouse).

Comment

Still problems understanding Opera...
                    On a Win2k rig, with a Duron 800, 256 mb PC100, a G400, currently with 2 VB IDE, an SQL enterprise manager and a OE opened, I can open 5-6 IE windows (much more than what I can read at one time), and still pages load up immediately with IE rendering 90% of the pages in much much less than one second.

Why should I use Opera? I'm not so nerd to have erections if using something alternative, so why use Opera? Can it be faster than my ADSL? It can download pages way before I type the address?
                    It use no memory? It add a processor to the one I already have? It allows me to open much much browser than I can read at a time, and it read them for me?

Moreover, being it incompatible with much things, why should I pass to it? O_o
                    Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Currently my main browser is Firefox, because my browsing is much more productive due to tabs, find as you type and mycroft search. For me those are killer features. For instance I have 5 webmail accounts and in Firefox I can go to Bookmarks and middle click on Mail folder, which means it takes me 2 clicks to open all my mail accounts (this can also be done on Opera). In IE it would take much more clicking and alt-tabbing to open 5 mail pages. Or for instance when I open very long pricelist on a page looking for price of Promise SATA controllers. In FF I can start typing "Pro"... and it finds it. Or when I go to Yahoo games and I know link for pool is among 40 other such links, I find link sooner through keyboard than visually. In Opera you have to prefix typing by slash, in IE you have to open separate menu which covers your text and is not interactive with typing.

Or when I'm searching for information, I open google search results or links to products or to pictures in one tab and middle click on interesting results/items/pics. They load in background and I can latter Open them. In IE I would have to open each link in new window and alt-tab back to results or constantly shuttle back and forward.

I keep Opera arround mainly for play / evaluating (I also keep Mozilla). 7.54 was IMO problematic due to clutter of toolbars and some bad defaults. 8.00 is much better than 7.54 IME.

My current problems with it are:
                      - it still doesn't render Arstechnica forums navigation menu (click on breadcrumb icon for forum navigation, add gets rendered above menu)
                      - middle clicking on a back or forward button doesn't do anything (FF opens previous or next page in new tab)
                      - lack of mycroft search-like functionality (OK there are keywords but that's not same)
                      - need to prefix find as you type
                      - default unnaturall position of tabs above page bar
                      - lack of CTRL+Enter for www. .com prefix and suffix
                      - some commercial links - 2 aditional search bars
                      - not free/adds

But despite that it's still in another class compared to IE. I personally still prefer Firefox, but Opera is viable/comparable alternative (there are things where Opera is better).

As for speed - IME FF and Opera are comparably fast (Opera though has instant back) and I notice that IE renders pages slower (ADSL and dual fast CPUs).

Compatibility - Opera is less compatible with pages than Firefox. Lately I haven't seen a page that would not display in Firefox - 99% of pages work.

Personally I don't give a ****whether browser is alternative or not, I'll use something that is superior. If IE7 will be superior to FF I'll switch, if Opera will become superior (for me), I'll switch.

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU
                        Personally I don't give a ****whether browser is alternative or not, I'll use something that is superior. If IE7 will be superior to FF I'll switch, if Opera will become superior (for me), I'll switch.
                        Agreed, I'd switch back to IE if 7 is better.

Comment

Well at least Opera handles Java correctly which Firefox doesn't. Pity otherwise our whole computer dept would use it rather being forced to use IE or Opera.
                          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Anyone (az?) know how I can get my close button (for individual pages) on the upper right hand corner back?

Comment

Originally posted by Victorian
                              Anyone (az?) know how I can get my close button (for individual pages) on the upper right hand corner back?
                              tools -> preferences -> uncheck, show close button on each tab.
                              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                                tools -> preferences -> uncheck, show close button on each tab.

Bingo! Thanks a bunch! You made the bunnies very happy

Comment

Working...
                                X