Router/Firewall reccomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router/Firewall reccomendations

My long-suffering WinXp/WinRoute/ZA-Pro gateway box is starting to get cranky and in need of a rebuild (I get DLL errors when I do IPConfig and try to set the screensaver amongst other things) and although I have a Win2000 box prepped with a similar config, I'm thinking of getting a cheap hardware firewall/router/switch instead.

I've read good reviews of both the Linksys BESFR41 and Netgear Rp614, but both of them appear to lockup occassionally and require a reboot. My current PC based solution might be getting flaky, but the only times it's gone down has been when I've overloaded the Nat table searching for HalfLife servers.

I run a security camera at home (off the WinXp gateway box actually) which emails me any video it captures during the day, so obviously I don't want to risk having a hardware modem that dies unexpectedly.
    Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

I had a BESFR41 for a long time and never had any problem like that.
    It's at my Dad's now doing PPPoE and Firewall duty.
    If it had ever locked up I would have heard about it.

The only reason I gave it away was because I got the version with wireless when we got Becky's laptop so she could serf on the patio.
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

I've had a Linksys BEFSR41 for several years (basically since the came out) and just LOVE it.

It's been on 24/7 for that entire time, save for the power outages and those times when my provider upgraded the service and suggested I reset both it and the cable/dsl modem, and it has not suffered one bit from it.

I've NEVER had any lockups of any kind with this router. I've also done several firmware updates without any issues whatsoever.

As far as its built-in NAT firewall goes: just great. When I visit sites like Gibson Research and have them test its security the typical report is that it operates in full stealth mode and they can't even find it

In all it may be one of the better hardware purchases I've ever made.

Dr. Mordrid
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 May 2005, 02:25.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Ditto on my BEFSR41... just sits there doing its job 24/7.
        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Thanks guys.
          Are either of you running any Port Filtering on the router? At least one report I googled up said that the Linksys was fine until he set some Port Filtering whence it became unstable, and stabilised when he took the filters off.
          Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Yup using some port filtering and port forwarding - chop and change to suit our needs every now and then. Seems to work pretty seamlessly and without any hiccups.
            DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Try Smoothwall Express...10 minutes to install box stock and it works great. If you tweak the hell out of it As I Have, it might take 30 minutes to setup - if you're good a the Linux Command Line.

Try it, you'll like it.
              Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Question: is BEFSR11 equally good as firewall?

Comment

Looks to me like it uses the same firmware.
                  The current version numbers are exactly the same.
                  Chuck
                  秋音的爸爸

Comment

Ah, that's good to know, since I have enough of software firewalls...and BEFSR11 is over two times cheaper than BESFR41. (and btw, what do you think about firewall in Nvidia chipsets?)

Comment

The only difference between the BEFSR41 and the BEFSR11 is the absense of the extra network switch sockets in the BEFSR11. Otherwise I believe they're identical.

No personal experience as to the efficacy of the NVIDIA firewall. Toms Hardware seem to have the most to say about it in this review;

Toms Hardware article....

Most review sites didn't pay much more than cursory attention to it, much less actually test it.

Dr. Mordrid
                      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 May 2005, 16:04.
                      Dr. Mordrid
                      ----------------------------
                      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I have the BEFSX41 (same as above, with more firewall stuff). It's okay, but it's not great. It was very unstable until 1.44 firmware. I upgraded to the 1.50 (first/only Cisco firmware), and it performed better but would lock up completely.

Grade: B-
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I have the BEFSX41 (same as above, with more firewall stuff). It's okay, but it's not great. It was very unstable until 1.44 firmware. I upgraded to the 1.50 (first/only Cisco firmware), and it performed better but would lock up completely.
                          My experience with that router too. I finally got fed up and bought a cheapy Belkin with NAT/SPI and haven't had a single problem with it.

Comment

I also threw out my Linksys for locking up. I have been very happy with my Zyxel Zywall 10. It is more expensive than the low-end nat gateway systems, but it has additional functions and is very customizable.

Their technical support is excellent.
                            Last edited by Brian R.; 7 May 2005, 00:26.

Comment

Jeesh ... what are you folks doing to lock up the Linksys? I've had one for over five years and it’s never given me a lick of trouble.
                              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
                              X