No announcement yet.

PcAnywhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Windows XP remote desktop program...how fast is that over the Internet, assuming a decent connection?

Also, will the client run on a 98 box?

Comment

I use RDP over my work's VPN sometimes. There's a little lag, but it performs better than running XP on a system with 256MB of RAM. Besides speed, it has two advantages over VNC:
      1) The image never corrupts.
      2) All your keys are fully mapped to the remote system - hitting Ctrl-Esc works on the remote system and not your local one, for example.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

What's RDP?

Comment

Umm, Remote Desktop Protocol, the thing you were asking about.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I tried remote assistance with a friend who is on dialup, it was laggy but one could acomplish tasks.

Over LAN you almost don't notice it's another machine, I tried using brushes in photoshop over 100Mb LAN RDesktop, it was fast enough.

As for Windows98, unless machine has less than 128MB of RAM you can run Win2k (I mean for stability, not the sake of remote desktop). If it has less than 128MB I'd try to run NT4.0 over 98.

Comment

@Wombat - Ahh, I wasn't used to seeing the "P" on there.

Anyway, we ended up going with Remote Admin. Good little program. Fast.

Comment

Working...
              X