Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody tried this 'Longhorn' (XP!) memory tweak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody tried this 'Longhorn' (XP!) memory tweak?

From the Inquirer:

Play free online games and win real prizes at Gembly! All your favorite solitaire games, card games, dice games against real players. Play and win!

Subject: Microsoft claims Longhorn will be, er, faster

The only reason why its faster is they added a superfetch feature to the prefetcher. If you look at the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\Memory Management\Prefetcher

you will notice in windows xp

EnablePrefetcher = 3 and you will notice in windows longhorn
    EnableSuperfetch = 1

Well, guess what? You can put the EnableSuperfetch = 1 in windows xp and get the same speed.

Wow, Microsoft just added a feature that was already there in xp.

snakeye

[At your own risk, Ed.]
    FT.

Some of the guys at Rage3D reported that it sped up .NET apps, but just about everyone everywhere else reports that it's a big ol' bust.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

That's basically what DZeus said, according to my notification email, but the post has vanished!
      FT.

Comment

yeah I deleted it; I read the claim that it was bogus somewhere and posted it, but later on in the same thread lots of people claimed that it did give a speed boost, leaving me confused on who to believe (though I tend to believe the ones that claim that it didn't do jack for XP as they used regmon to monitor the specific registry entry to see if it was being read)

Comment

Didn't seem to make any change on my system, I'm betting on placebo until someone comes up with actual benchmark differences.

Comment

I've seen it posted a few places along with a recommendation to change the "enableprefetch" parameter - which WILL produce a speed CHANGE, but not an increase. Booting might be faster, but overall the machine will respond more slowly.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
              but overall the machine will respond more slowly.
              Viral campaign by MS to slow down XPs, so Vista will appear faster?

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere
                Viral campaign by MS to slow down XPs, so Vista will appear faster?
                MS has been ALL about the viral campaigns lately, so who knows?

Comment

Working...
                X