Wireless Networking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Networking

Is there a way to keep the network hidden and still connect manually? If I do not hide the SSID, the windows utility will allow me to connect manually.

You can hide the SSID and still connect manually with Windows. What's the problem?
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Basically if I let the router broadcast the SSID, I can use Windows' "Choose a Wireless Network" screen to manually connect to the router. If I tell it not to broadcast the SSID, the "Choose a Wireless Network" screen will not show the network and I cannot connect unless I set it up to be automatic which I do not want it to do if the user has the laptop directly connect via an rj45 cable.

Comment

Is there some other way to connect manually?

Comment

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama
          Is there some other way to connect manually?
          Yeah. Don't use the "choose a wireless network" screen. That's a cutesy graphical interface. Just go directly to the... well, right-click on your wireless, and go to the screen where you punch in the SSID manually. It's ... like, right there. I can't tell you the sequence because I am not using wireless, but if you can't figure it out in the next couple hours, I'll check on Julie's machine (wireless to my router, which has a hidden SSID).
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          I would still get screwed

Comment

Just say no to wireless.. and get a new house with cat6 run everywhere.

Comment

I agree. It's not for my house, it is for my boss'/cousin's. They want it. In there new house, they will be getting CAT6 everywhere even in rooms where they would not use it yet if I have anything to say about it. I will since they asked me. Add to that a patch panel in a utility area similar to what we have here only on a smaller scale. They do not want to ever have to open anything up to add wiring again.

Comment

Working...
              X