Blu-ray/HD-DVD updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blu-ray/HD-DVD updates

For those who haven't followed, but care at least a little bit, about the state of the next generation high definition media ... this is for you.

Format merger talks have officially ended. The result: there will be a format war. Toshiba refuses to use the Blu-ray hardware, citing that the 0.1mm depth before the first layer of data would require too much retooling and cause the media to cost too much money. Sony will not budge on moving to the DVD/HD-DVD standard 0.6 mm depth because 1) you cannot store nearly the amount of data when the layer starts so deep within the disc, and 2) the PS3 using Blu-ray hardware/disc technology is set in stone.

So now the format war is set to be upon us! In the Toshiba/HD-DVD arena we have the name. Everyone knows what a DVD is, so common logic would say that a HD-DVD would be better than everyone's beloved DVD format. Toshiba and the HD-DVD consortium is banking on name recognition and lower media/player prices to win the format war. Given Sony's track record in format wars ... Toshiba thinks they can pull it off. However ...

In the Blu-ray corner is 140 companies, including every major computer and technology company save Toshiba, NEC and Sanyo (of which on Toshiba actively makes PCs). Blu-ray has made thre HUGE blows against HD-DVD in the past month. Fox Home Entertainment, Lion's Gate Home Entertainment and Universal Music group have all pledged their sole loyalty to the Blu-ray format. On top of that, Blu-ray has two of the 3 largest electronics companies in the world behind it, Matsushita and Sony, plus most of the other major electronics companies - Philips, Samsung, LG, Pioneer, Hitachi, HP, Dell, Apple, Mitsubishi, Sharp, etc. - and media making masters TDK, Maxell, Fujifilm and everyone's favorite Taiyo Yuden. They also have studio backing from Fox, Lion's Gate, Disney, Universal, and Sony Pictures (duh).

Blu-ray is obviously planning on using their muscle and superior technology to win the format war. They will have to run a major advertising campaign to put their name in the lime-light, but that shouldn't be a problem with the size of marketing budgets behind them. Blu-ray is also banking on the PS3's popularity to get millions of blu-ray players in people's houses by the end of 2006.

On the technology front. HD-DVD announced that they have made a tripple layer HD-DVD disc that sports 45 GB of storage capacity, which is still 5 GB less than a two-layer BD (Blu-ray Disc). BDA (Blu-ray Disc Associateion) fired back two days later announcing that TDK has made a prototype 4-layer BD that sports 100 GB of storage capacity, which will be part of the BD 2x specifications.

HD-DVD then announced a hybrid DVD/HD-DVD disc technology, 1 x 4.5 GB DVD layer and 1 x 15 GB HD-DVD layer on a single side. BLu-ray fired back by announcing a triple layer hybrid disc with the full DVD-9 (8.5 GB on two layers) and a single 25 GB Blu-ray layer on a single side (one of the advantages of putting the first data layer at 0.1 mm). Rumors are circulating that both camps are scrambling to get a quad layer hybrid disc, or a dual-layer, dual-sided, disc out for launch. That would obviously boost moral in teh format and allow for better HD content and features. No official quad-layer hybrid discs have been announced.

Both groups plan on having players, media, and movies out for their respective formats by holiday season 2005, or early 2006. Initial player prices are expected to be $1000-$3000. Media is expected to be $30-$35, more for collector's editions. Most of the initial media will probably HD/DVD hybrids until there is a clear winner in the format war.

Recent indications show that many execs are picking sides and sticking to their guns. Most execs who had not picked a side before this year have been jumping on the Blu-ray bandwagon, citing a stronger alliance and better technology.

With all that being said ... let the wars begin!

Long live Blu-ray!

Jammrock
    Blu-ray
    0%
    HD-DVD
    0%
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Whoever Philips backs will win. Just my gut feeling.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
      The result: there will be a format war. Toshiba refuses to use the Blu-ray hardware, citing that the 0.1mm depth before the first layer of data would require too much retooling and cause the media to cost too much money. Sony will not budge on moving to the DVD/HD-DVD standard 0.6 mm depth because 1) you cannot store nearly the amount of data when the layer starts so deep within the disc, and 2) the PS3 using Blu-ray hardware/disc technology is set in stone.
      The real reason merger talks ended: Toshiba, Time Warner, and other 6C members refuse to give up their patent royalties. Blu-Ray will not have to pay the royalties, and HD-DVD will.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I voted for HD-DVD because it is the lesser technology and banks on the stupidity of the average person. Hard to beat that.

Comment

Who cares...if you desperatelly need capacity now, the asnswer is Blu-ray. Otherwise just let the sheep choose and then buy what has left on the market = what has the best value for money. (and in the meantime wait just a bit more, so everyone will jump on the bandwagon of new technologies and prices of DVDRW drives will fall to a level that's almost acceptable for you )

Comment

I think Blu-ray is the better technology from what I've read... however with HD-DVD readers being marketed as able to play normal DVDs along with the name recognition and probably lower price, the herds of consumers may end up going that way.

Comment

Who said Blu-Ray players won't be marketed as being able to play DVDs?

Comment

Blue-ray is backwards compatible http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc and http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#2.4
                Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Originally posted by rylan
                  I think Blu-ray is the better technology from what I've read... however with HD-DVD readers being marketed as able to play normal DVDs along with the name recognition and probably lower price, the herds of consumers may end up going that way.
                  The Blu-ray specification require that all players be backwards compatible with DVD. Thus the inclusion of the MPEG2 standard in the Blu-ray specs.

Jammrock
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I didn't mean that Blu-ray wouldn't be backwards compatible. I've just heard a lot more marketing stuff stressing how HD-DVD is.

Comment

I just read some place that all upcoming HD-DVD or Blu-ray players are going to require a phone to be hooked up to them to help prevent piracy! ugh....I dont even have my land line any where close to my Home enterament system
                      Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by GT98
                        I just read some place that all upcoming HD-DVD or Blu-ray players are going to require a phone to be hooked up to them to help prevent piracy! ugh....I dont even have my land line any where close to my Home enterament system
                        That better not be the case if they plan on actually selling any
                        We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

I've read the same yesterday: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...129TX1K0000532

They are even considering to add region codes again, haven't they learned anything
                          Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                          Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                          Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

I think HD-DVD probably will get a good start as its a cheaper technology(?), but in the long term blu -ray will probably win...simply becasue it stores a lot more.
                            We will probably be in same dual tech sitation as we are now with +R/-R

Comment

I voted Blu-Ray, only because there's a lot of marketing muscle behind it, and if HD-DVD will be patent encumbered, then it will likely go the way of the betamax.

Of course, whichever techonology gets into places like Best Buy, Circuit City, and Wal-Mart first will be the winner.

- Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X