Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap (used...) laser printer - which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap (used...) laser printer - which one?

I came to conclusion that I need printer, again, but I don't need the colour or to be ripped on ink prices. So...probably some used (but after checkout by service) laser printer would be best. The only problem...I pretty much know only that HP, and also Brother are the best (some others also?), don't know nothing about which models are good or even "legendary"?
    So...which one would you advice?
    Or perhaps everything form HP will be great so choose the one for which I'll have money?
    Budget: probably 50€ max.
    Special requirements: apart from compact size, not much - perhaps for it to be quiet...doubtfull I would use ethernet for it...

Hmm...after looking at auction site:

HP 5L or 6L - good buy? (and what's the difference between the two anyway? I don't see any in descriptions...) 1100 also? (though this one exceeds max cash limit...)

Comment

laserjet 4 is a good choice, mine has 350K+ prints and going strong. There are only a few replaceable parts to worry about and always available via ebay....6-10k toner cartridges are plentiful and there is a lexmark that uses the same one at half the cost...
      Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Hmm...laserjet 4 is also available...about the same price as 5L/6L (again, what's the difference between them?). But it looks much bigger on the photos, and I'd like to keep it small. It is rather big, right? paper inside & all?

Comment

the 5l had various issues wih paper feeding.
          try a 4 or a 6p - much more rugged
          Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Yeah, used a 5L for quite a while and it's a real pain with paper jams...if you could afford the 1100, it'd be a clearly superior, much newer model...the 5L/6L series are 8 years old if memory serves - though well built, after such a long time, any piece of consumer electronics is bound to screw up.
            All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

If paper jams occur only in some specific situation, when, for example, there's lots of paper in the printer, tht wouldn't be a problem...

Comment

well, it would basically try to suck the whole stack of paper through at one. You would have to feed one sheet through at a time.
                they did have service kits available to remedy this, but the problem would start over after a few hundred sheets.
                Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

I also had a similar problem with the 6L...used the 6P for only a bit and it seemed fine, but the 5 and 6L are to be avoided, imho...too old and problematic. I also concur with what gt40 just said, 3 sheets of paper in the damn thing and it would grab them all...raised serious issues when we were trying to print 500 copies of a magazine
                  All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Working...
                  X