No announcement yet.

PCI to stay for a long time it seems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The very latest supermicro nforce 4 dual opteron dual pci-ex 16 board, still has PCI standard ISA bridge in the device manager, I think its used for sensors and things like that, it does not actually have an ISA slot though

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
      I wonder: does PCI-X have similar issues?
      I mean, it goes up to 133 MHz, 64 bit... and is compatible with PCI. But how does it behave with small data?
      Nope, its basically the same instruction overhead.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
        The PCI-PCIe bridge on my system works well with the TBSC falls on its arse with the RT.X100, which really hammers PCI to host memory bandwidth. Too bad, but then it's for SD editing and HD is the current thing

Dr. Mordrid
        So is that your "official" statemt? That you don't recommend PCIe boards for high bandwith PCI devides, such as Matrox RT?

Comment

So PCI-X vs PCE-ex...what are the pluses and minuses? Which is more common?

Comment

PCI Express is much more common than PCI-X. PCI-X is only found on server boards.

Jörg
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

In short: PCI-X (eXtended) is an extension of PCI , it's backwards compatible with PCI and you find it mostly in servers and workstations. It's like the normal PCI bus a parallel bus and unidirectional.

PCIe or PCI Express is a new bus it replaces PCI and AGP. PCIe isn't backwards compatible with existing PCI cards. It's a serial bus and allows bidirectional communication.
              Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
              Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
              Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Working...
              X