Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Tablet PC or XP+3rd party software

Hello,

I'm about to order a Fujitsu Siemens P1510 (subnote Tablet PC with passive digitizer).

Which OS would be best suited: Windows XP Tablet PC Edition (recently released for passive digitizers as well) or Windows XP Professional with 3rd party software to make use of the digitizer?
    The reason I ask is that Fujitsu Siemens specifies in on their website with Tablet PC, but at the moment is only appears to be available with XP.

I'm leaning towards the first as I think it yields better integration of the digitizer with the OS, and would be willing to wait for it (dunno how long a wait it will be...).

What would you choose?

Jörg
    MS Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
    0%
    MS Windows XP Professional with 3rd party software for digitizer integration
    0%
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

AFAIK Tablet PC Edition makes great use of the digitizer and integrates it really well, with character recognition better than my brain's. I'd get that one.
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Yes, that matches what I have found.
      Still, while Siemens shows MS TabletPC on the specsheet, I'm not sure it can be delivered in Belgium with TabletPC (I have asked the store for further details).

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

Yeah, if you can, Tablet PC is the way to go...they have so many cool toys for it, like a Crossword you can fill in manually
        All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

VJ, how about buying from a german online store? Prices would also be better, I think. I think just buying it with XP and downloading Tablet PC edition gives too much hassles, besides being illegal if you want to be strict about it (I don't think it is very unethical if you don't use XP and only do it because it isn't available in your area).
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az
            VJ, how about buying from a german online store? Prices would also be better, I think. I think just buying it with XP and downloading Tablet PC edition gives too much hassles, besides being illegal if you want to be strict about it (I don't think it is very unethical if you don't use XP and only do it because it isn't available in your area).
            The store where I intend to order it has very competitive prices (oddly enought they don't seem to differ that much from German prices). Furthermore, I've had great support from that store, and IMO that also counts for something.

I would prefer an official TabletPC for a number of reasons. Most important is that it is obvious MS is moving towards checking official versions on their websites. Currently, it is not needed for updates, but it is required for some downloads. I feel they will extend this further, and wouldn't want to be unable to update.

Jörg
            pixar

Comment

Working...
            X