Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backup to DVD-RAM: SLO-O-O-W

Hello,

I'm now using DVD-RAMs for temporary backup (photos I'm working on, ...).

They are formatted in FAT32 (Windows XP). When I drag-n-drop files from my harddisk to the DVD-RAM, they are copied, but very slowly. The DVD's are 3x, but it goes much slower than that.
    I suspect it has to do with the way Windows copies the files (copying many files to a USB storage also goes slowly).

Any thoughts on how to speed up this file-copy mechanism?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

How many files? Typical size range?

Comment

To the DVD-RAM: about 4.2 GB worth of 12 MB files... (so approx. 350 files)

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

Any thoughts?
        The drive supports 5x, but the dvd only 3x; so I'm expecting around 4 MB/s.
        Using xcopy in a cmd window seems to improve on the drag-drop, but it still seems too slow...

Jörg
        pixar

Comment

Just for the record, how is the burner connected? Also, is DMA set in Device Manager?
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
            Just for the record, how is the burner connected? Also, is DMA set in Device Manager?
            It is an external USB drive. Read transfer rates are much faster.

Jorg
            pixar

Comment

Reads will always be faster than writes. As for USB writes being very slow, thats NO suprise.

My son had a USB DVD-everything burner he wanted to use for DVD copying & backups with his Dell Latitude, but it was so slow at burns and DVD-RAM writes he switched to an internal Panasonic DVD -R/+R/RAM burner;

Problem solved.

IMO USB is great for interface devices & non-video/low bandwidth HDD use, but otherwise....
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 7 May 2006, 10:33.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

That wouldn't explain why writing ordinary DVDs goes at acceptable speeds, nor why copying large files to the DVD RAM goes much faster.

I think the problem is more general: when you copy a large number of files to a removable medium (DVD RAM, USB stick, ...), it goes much slower than copying a single large file to the same medium.
                I suspect that for the DVD RAM, this is the killer (I hear the laser-pickup move between every file). A copy tool that would allow one to copy multiple files in one stream would probabely solve my problem.

Windows has the 'enable recording on this drive'-feature, which copies dragged-dropped files to a temporary folder and then burns this at once when the user tells it to. Is there perhaps something similar for DVD RAMs? Would I be better of using UDF instead of FAT32?

Jörg
                pixar

Comment

I use my DVD-RAM's & WinXP right out of the box & it sounds faster than your results

Drives: Panasonic, LG & Lite-On

Media: Panasonic
                  Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 7 May 2006, 23:57.
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Also in FAT32 ?
                    pixar

Comment

As formatted out of the boX.

One thing you might consider is that many DVD-RAM drives come with write verification turned on by default, which halves the write speed. Some burners (and firmware builds) allow this to be turned off & some don't.
                      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 8 May 2006, 00:19.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, out of the box it uses UDF format...

I resorted to FAT32 because I didn't have a UDF writer driver for XP. Perhaps I should check my Nero stuff again (I haven't installed inCD at the moment, perhaps that will add UDF write support for the DVD RAM as well). Do you have other/better suggestions for a driver?

True on the verification, but my speeds are even way lower than half. Only large files (50 MB or so) are written at quite acceptable speeds. I really think it is the file system messing it up.

Jörg
                        pixar

Comment

This doesn't get to the root of the problem, but as it sounds like you are writing all your files as once I suppose you could zip them into one archive.

Also a friend of mine was complaiing of excessively slow writing to a USB2 HDD. He found a free 3rd-party driver (sorry, can't remember the name atm) that sped it up enormously.

The authors name was something like 'bright young things'...
                          FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone
                            This doesn't get to the root of the problem, but as it sounds like you are writing all your files as once I suppose you could zip them into one archive.
                            I want to be able to replace them independantly later on...

So while it won't get to the root, it might speed things up somewhat...

Also a friend of mine was complaiing of excessively slow writing to a USB2 HDD. He found a free 3rd-party driver (sorry, can't remember the name atm) that sped it up enormously.
                            Well, I have discovered a similar problem when writing to a USB2 memory, but that is less of an issue (I don't keep data on it long, and don't mind zipping it).

Jörg
                            pixar

Comment

Well, I tried InCD, but the version I have doesn't seem to support dvdram.
                              With dvd burning software it takes 15-20 minutes to write a dvdram, so the slow performance is not USB related.

Doc, what software/udf driver are you using?

Jörg
                              pixar

Comment

Working...
                              X