External DVD burner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External DVD burner

Looking for an external DVD burner. Want to be able to use it on my computer, my mom's and my sister's laptop. I run Linux, but that shouldn't be a problem. Have some video stuff we'd like to burn, so can't hold out for Blu-Ray or HDDVD. Any recommendations?
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

would a regular 5.25" external case with USB2/Firewire/SATA + DVD burner of your choice be an option, or do you want smaller?
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

If you want smaller, the Plextor PX-608u supports everything (DVD+/- DL & DVDRAM) but always needs its powersupply; I have this drive.
      Lacie has a USB powered model (comes with powersupply) that supports all but RAM, it does add LightScribe.

Jörg
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Just to show some specifications:

Mobile drives:
        Plextor PX-608U (no USB power, supports + and - DL, supports DVDRAM)
        Lacie D2 Mobile DVD RW (USB powerable, LightScribe, no DL, no DVD-RAM)

Desktop drives:
        Plextor PX-750UF (supports USB & IEEE1394, + and - DL, DVD-RAM)

I still feel one can't go wrong with Plextor... I have the PX-708 in my desktop, and now the PX-608U for use with my laptop. The only downside is that it always needs it powersupply.

Jörg
        pixar

Comment

Aight, thanks I'll give those a look.
          Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
          Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Of course, if it needn't be a portable drive (but just an external one), you would have a wider array of choices. Most likely, serial ATA could then be a better performer than the USB drives.

Jörg
            pixar

Comment

Working...
            X