Cider: Wine for Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cider: Wine for Gamers

Cider is a sophisticated portability engine that allows Windows games to be run on Intel Macs without any modifications to the original game source code. Cider works by directly loading a Windows program into memory on an Intel-Mac and linking it to an optimized version of the Win32 APIs. Games are simply wrapped up in the Cider engine and they work on the Mac. This means developers only have one code base to maintain while keeping the ability to target multiple platforms. Cider powered games use the same copy protection, lobbies, game matching and connectivity as the original. All this means less work and lower costs. Cider is targeted at game developers and publishers and, unlike Cedega, is not an end user product.
    It is too bad it's not for end-users, but hopefully this will tempt more game developers to offer Mac versions (sooner), though I imagine the switch to Intel has already tempted them enough.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

It's like Gus says... it's EASY to pick games for the Mac because there are only THREE. And you know which ones are good because you already played them on the PC like 4 or 5 years ago!
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
    X