Reduce network power consumption.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 kW/hr = ~9p
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
      electricy in uk must be expensive
      Originally posted by Tjalfe
      even here it will easily run you $20CDN / month to keep a PC on 24/7.. we officially pay $0.058 / KW/h but with taxes and other bs. it is closer to $0.13 KW/h
      One good thing about living mostly in dorm (OK, not the only one...) - to the point that I don't mind gettin P4 Prescott and some 21' CRT monitor...

Comment

The answer is simple: Go Gas!

Just got these figures from uswitch.com about my supplier:

Gas tariff
        Units 3.21p per kWh
        Units above 4572 kWh p.a 2.37p per kWh
        All prices shown are inclusive of V.A.T. at 5%

Electricity tariff
        Daytime units 13.26p per kWh
        Daytime units above 900 kWh p.a 9.62p per kWh
        Night time units 3.82p per kWh
        All prices shown are inclusive of V.A.T. at 5%

Seriously though, my monthly costs for gas and leccy are £32 and £27 respectively, for a family of four in a house full of PCs and gadgets.
        FT.

Comment

OK. Anyone have a gas powered PSU?
          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I know you went through a lot to get it, but I'd ditch the ProLiant. That thing is a beast, and I'm pretty sure a modern dual-core single socket little machine could outperform it. You can even get desktop boards with SATA RAID 5 now. If you get some mobile racks, they can be hot-swap too!
            Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Paddy:

Have you tried to touch the shielding of the network cable and not get a buzz?

A few times, i have noticed i got a bit of a f**king shock when plugging and unplugging network cables.
              I then measured it to be 90V on a multimeter, i can't remember whether it was DC or AC, but it was quite a buzz

Maybe that could explain the extra consumption ?
              I think that i may have missed a ground wire somewhere int he network, and its doing this because of that.
              A while ago it stopped, maybe it was when i had my other 4-port GigE switch instead of this 8-port GigE... the former was a "pro" version of a netgear switch (metal case), and the second is a "home" version (placcy crap)... i might try back again and see...

I mean, i have actually seen sparks when the cable shielding touches the case!!!
              PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
              Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
              +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

when talking about cable shielding i mean the metal surrounding the connector and pins.

edit ooh, i have to change my sig
                PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.

Comment

Paddy:
                  Sorry to bother, but was wondering if you had tried to touch your ethernet cable grounding shield to see if you got a shock or not, or maybe use a multimeter first or something...

Anyone else tried this ?

I've had this problem sometimes at work too...

Only measured it at home tho, and 90V is nothing to be sneezed at...

Comment

Working...
                  X