No announcement yet.

Direction of case fan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I've seen the benchmarks, and there is a significant difference between ->PS->case-> airflow, and ->case->PS->
    It is *very* worthwhile to change the direction of the PS fan, if it is indeed working as an intake. I've installed new PS fans before, and it's not at all hard to undo the screws and swap the direction.
    If that still doesn't do the trick, I couldn't overclock with the case on, until I added a slot fan. It occupies my highest (heightwise) slot, and blows out even more hot air.
    I can't stress enough the need for exhaust fans like this. If there's not hot air being forced out of the case, there's no room for the cold air to be brought in.
    Good luck, and happy clocking!

Wombat

P.S. - A great stress test for the processor is called Prime95, it will suck up every idle clock tick you have. However, it doesn't stress your video setup, so if you're looking to check your heat flow, this may not be enough. However, it's great for burning in a chip

------------------
    503+ rev 1.2a, 128MB PC100 RAM, K6-2/350@400,Win98,G200 Millenium (SGRAM)

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

StingRay69, not all atx cases have atx power supplys. some atx cases have converted at power supply's, that blow air out. to be sure you have a atx p.s. the fan must draw in and the p.s. must suport atx power management comands from the mother board and windows 95/98. i happen to own one real atx case and ps. and two that have converted at supplys.

------------------
      i spend way too much time and money on my 3 systems.

Comment

Well, I know I got here way late, but if anyone's still around looking for cooling options, here's a great "how-I-did-it-myself" article...

http://www.overclockers.com/tips16/

check out the whole site; it's really chock full of useful info...

------------------
        Holly
        who couldn't even get her K6-333 to run at 350 but wants to try again with a C300 or 366 'till she's saved enough for an Athlon.....

[This message has been edited by motub (edited 07-07-99).]
        Holly

"All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open ended program of procreative racial deconstruction."
        -Jay Bulworth

Comment

Working...
        X