Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony recall: what went wrong

Sony Battery Recall: What Went Wrong?

Sony Corp. has now recalled nine million lithium-ion laptop batteries over the past few months, after ignoring persistent reports that some batteries had overheated so much they burst into flames. The battery recall is by far the largest in history. At an awkward press conference this past Tuesday, Sony officials finally admitted that the cause was defective manufacturing, which allowed metallic particles to invade the reactive chamber, setting up the potential for runaway reactions.

Scientific American was on this story well before the press conference. Indeed, we had completed a Working Knowledge column explaining how lithium-ion batteries can overheat, complete with quotes and diagrams from industry experts. The article is "on press" now, as our printer prepares our December issue. But because Sony has suddenly acknowledged the mechanisms Working Knowledge discusses, we've decided to make a pre-publication copy of the article available online now. We hope you find it interesting.
    Article (PDF)....
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Yeah, and it pretty well wiped out the profits from their last quarter.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

How do I find out which models have the bad batteries?

Comment

The manufacturers that used Sony batteries have posted notices on their sites.

Sony sure stuck their head up their own backside with this one
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

graphite on the anode... Baaa who are these idiots who write this crap

it's a carbon sintered copper plate.
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

In journalism school everything with carbon in it is 'graphite' because that's what pencils are made of
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
            X