Sony: NO PS3 price adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony: NO PS3 price adjustment

SAN JOSE, Calif. — Sony has no plans to cut the price of its upcoming PlayStation 3 video game console in the United States, despite a recent cut announced for Japan, the chief of the company's U.S. electronic entertainment division said on Wednesday.

Kaz Hirai, president and chief executive of Sony ComputerEntertainment America, told Reuters the company would stick with its planned price tags of $499 and $599 when the new PlayStation 3 consoles hit retailers' shelves in the United States on November 17.

"We are very comfortable with the pricing we have announced and have gotten tremendous support from retailers for that price point," Hirai said on the sidelines of the Dow Jones VentureWire Consumer Technology Conference. "So it is full steam ahead with the pricing of $499 and $599."

Sony will introduce the PS3 in Japan on November 11 with the North American launch to follow six days later. The two regions are the two biggest markets for consoles in the $30 billion video game market.

Hirai also said the company was sticking with its forecast of supplying two million units of the PS3 by December and another four million by March as planned.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

"So it's full steam head running our company into the ground!"
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

That about sums it up.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Somehow I imagine they think the US market will not balk at the cost, yet they appear to be extremely worried about losing out at home where I think they're doing far worse as a company than elsewhere.
        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

In Canada, futureshop has it listed as $659.99 for the 60gb HD version.
          Get our Low Price Guarantee, online or in store, on a huge selection of electronics, appliances, furniture, fitness, travel, baby products and more!

$279.99 for the Wii.
          Get our Low Price Guarantee, online or in store, on a huge selection of electronics, appliances, furniture, fitness, travel, baby products and more!
          Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
          Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Working...
          X