Overclocking and Case cooling Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Steve,
    Any idea where I can get some large ( say 6-8inch) fans here in the uk?

Colin
    You wanna piece of me? here, *crunch*, o.k. not _that_ bit.

Comment

As everyone always asks, here's what my PC looks like during the summer:

Jorden, messy desk huh??

------------------
      Holly is all I Love&Need !!
      And some food and drink till she gets here...
      Who has an abundance of Airmiles for Holly(Berri) ??

Jordâ„¢

Comment

Hmmm, in the side of my PC, I've fitted 3 fans. Now my PC will only reliably if I run the middle on and no others. Odd eh? Try and suss that one out!

------------------
        Cheers,
        Steve

My PC? Not that bad, got all sorts of crap in it, and all sorts of crap around it and my desk is also messy. Now what does that say about me? ;¬)

[This message has been edited by SteveC (edited 08-13-1999).]

Comment

Alrighty then. I got all of my new cooling toys in, now it's time to install them. Here is the list:

Tennmax Stealth V3 cooler (still waiting for the G400)
          Tennmax Lasagna BGA Type 0 (for the AGP chip, yes I am this crazy)
          Ultra Thin Exhauster Hard Disk cooler
          Super Duper Slot fan
          Twin Turbo Case exhaust fan thingy
          PIII cache spacer to connect the L2 cache to my Peltier cooler (cooler from Step Thermodynamics)
          A couple of heatsinks for the back of my PIII (oh I'm not done yet)
          6cm case fan and...
          3x8cm case fans.

phew...that's a long list. I think I may have a digital camera to take some photo's with, so if Wombat or ALBPM could please help me out with some web space (and how to put the pics up on the board) I will be ready to go. Just drop me an email please. I may start up a part 2 of this thread, just so people on the slow pipe can load the thread in a decent amount of time.

Jammrock
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Hehehe, trust Pauly to start a thread like this one!!! Just love showing off your space age speaker air freshner...hehe

Just got an Abit BE6 today, waiting for me at home, if I don't return too drunk tonight, I'll install it (also got a Live! Value at the weekend, gotta love that EAX!!) and then come with all me questions in the morning (why has my CPU melted, why does my AGP port smell of burning plastic etc.)

I got a lot to learn...

Laters

Lukey
            Lukey
            ========
            PII333@412(4x100+T), 128MB PC100, ABIT BE6, G20016MB+V2SLI, SBLive, 19" Sony GST, 56K USR

"Follow your dreams, you can achieve your goals, I am living proof...beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!"

Comment

I, too, confess to being a fan fan (groan) Alas, I have no pictures, but at least I can say my case is prettier than any of yours =Þ. Oh well, here's a link to a pic of it: My Case.Mine is the tower version. The SCA module in mine is pushed up one bay, leaving a bay and a half for my 120mm fan and duct. This fan blows directly up onto the undersides of my cards. I made the duct and fan support out of sheet steel and double sided foam tape for sound deadening, and used some of that blue AC filter material as filters to keep the dust out. The case also came with 5 fans - the 80mm PS fan, two 80mm fans ducted from the back, blowing cool air on the processor, memory, and cards (doubling what the new ATX standard calls for), and two 60mm fans blowing sideways onto the hard drives. If you can get a hold of one, get it! This is far and away the nicest case I have ever seen. Everything is well planned and beautifully executed. They also make an awesome full tower version.

Another neat fan project can be found at Dan's Data. If you've never seen this guy's website, it's an absolute riot. This slightly cracked but hilarious Australian dude has the most entertaining hardware site I've ever visited. Read the review of the mouse bungee while you're there.
              Enjoy.

Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

Paul, I love your case/fan setup. I never thought of using a 6x9 grille for a fan cover .. duh, and we have tons of that stuff where I work. Had you ever thought of putting one of those auto-hood type scoops on the top? You know, like those guys with custom Camaros have? You could even use an automotive air filter around a regular 12" house fan.

Just teasing. Actually I am a fellow sufferer of Tim Taylor syndrome. If it didnt involve cutting up my case, I'd probably do something like that As it is, my case already has lots of vent holes in it... still lusting for that 150x55 mm monster fan though... who cares if my computer sounds like the flight deck of an aircraft carrier anyway?

Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

LOL KvH, mine does without the added fans

The main fan in my PU is making alot of noise, like it's coming loose any moment!!
                  Ah well, if all noise stops and my screen goes black, then I'll buy a new PU

Jorden.
                  Jordâ„¢

Comment

I just love the sound of that electric saw ripping through plastic and sheet metal....YaHoooo

Paul
                    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

wait a min all those fans, duct's and holes, have benifits we havent thought of.

1 we know imediatly if something isint working (the noise level gose down)

2 we don't have to worry about noisey drives (becusae we can't hear anything else but the fans)

3 all those exuast fans mean we don't need heat in the winter. (hot air from overclocked systems warms house.)

------------------
                      incase you didn't know it. (Tylau is really a gay asian phone sex operator) "denis miller live"
                      msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
                      it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

You guys are to much.It looks like a hell of
                        alot fun.I too do alot of overclocking,but
                        my room is air conditioned,so my temp stays
                        at 68-70 F with the case closed.I only run
                        3 fans-PS fan,CPU fan,and a 486 fan on my
                        G200.I just might get the jigsaw out though
                        don't wanna miss out on all the fun.

<marquee behavior="slide" loop="1" marquee align="bottom" bgcolor="white"
                        <font color="#FF0000" size="1" face="Comic Sans MS"><em><strong>sixpac</strong></em></font></marquee>

------------------
                        Amd K6-2 350@452,Fic 503+ 1.2a,64mb Mushkin Samsung GHcas2,Maxtor 8.4gb,G200 Mill.8mb Sgram,Yamaha sound
                        Amd K6-2 350@452,Fic 503+1.2a,64mb pc100 Mushkin Samsung GH cas2,G200 8mb Sgram,Maxtor 8.4gb,Yamaha Sound

Comment

Hi Guys !

Mind me if I joined ?

and before someone asks ... yes, my Celery is cooled by one passive heatsink assisted by one P2-fan

Not too many fans, but effective.

------------------
                          Cheerio,
                          Maggi

Asus P2B-S @ 112MHz FSB - Bios 1010 final
                          Celeron300A @ 504Mhz
                          128MB 7ns SDRAM
                          G400 DualHead 32MB SGRAM @ 201 MHz memory clock

[This message has been edited by Maggi (edited 08-27-1999).]
                          Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                          Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                          be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                          4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                          2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                          OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                          4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                          Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                          Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                          LG BH10LS38
                          LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

We do Maggi

Mind me if I joined?
                            [This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 08-27-1999).]
                            Jordâ„¢

Comment

I knew I shouldn't have asked, Jorden

------------------
                              Cheerio,
                              Maggi

Asus P2B-S @ 112MHz FSB - Bios 1010 final
                              Celeron300A @ 504Mhz
                              128MB 7ns SDRAM
                              G400 DualHead 32MB SGRAM @ 201 MHz memory clock
                              Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                              Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                              be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                              4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                              2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                              OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                              4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                              Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                              Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                              LG BH10LS38
                              LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Working...
                              X