Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got my Alpha from 2Cooltek:
    www.2COOLTEK.COM/

I also ordered his Y.S.Tech 60mm fans and the nice Wire Fan Grills.

The P3125 fits nicely in the BE6 with about 2-3mm to spare between the Alpha and the first Dimm slot. With the BX6 rev2 there is plenty of room.

Here's a link to Alpha:
    www.micforg.co.jp/

And the case screw I used was the same size as the ones on your PCI slot covers.

Here's a link to the article for removing the Heatsink/Fan from the P3.
    www.thetechzone.com/articles/p3_heatsink_remove.htm

Has anyone figured out how to increase the voltage on the BE6 yet??? The (/cc)flash trick doesn't work on this board like it does on the BX6 r2.

Paul
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Guyver.. why did you do that? I have a P3-600 and I was envious of your system! Running a P3 at 600MHz at 100MHz fsb is slower than running a P3 at 600MHz at 133MHz fsb! I was only able to bump the bus speed on mine up to 103MHz (x6=618). At 112MHz it was a no-go. So now your whole system will be running slower (but no doubt cooler) and you are out $600+

------------------
      Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

KvH
        If, as the Register suggests, a P3 600 is nothing more than an overclocked P3 500, it would explain why you can't get any more out of it than you have. ITS ALREADY OVERCLOCKED AS FAR AS IT WILL GO.

Guyv, let us know how you do.

RAB
        AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

I know RAB, that's basically what I was saying to Guyver. The P3-600 is pretty close to the limit of the silicon at .25 (now if it were a Coppermine, a bit into their production of the thing, maybe he could OC to 800)

I got the 600 (boxed) before it was even announced and it was less than a 550 at the time so I decided "what the hell". Guyver was really very lucky to get a P3-450 with such a high tolerance, and it's no wonder his system blasts out such awesome numbers when it is running at 133fsb. I woulda just stuck with that til Coppermine was out.

Guyver, why don't you look at one of those Kryotech systems? An 800MHz Athlon should really rock!

------------------
          Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

Paul, I went over to the 3Dfiles board and saw where some poor sap broke his P3-550 trying to get the fan off. sad huh? I am probably not gonna push it anymore with mine.

------------------
            Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

Well, If I canna get the 600 to go (I'll find out on Monday!) Then I'll send it back and get a 500 or 550 - that way I should be able to hit 666 or 731.5 or so.... But, as the unit has a 3-year warranty, I can't go wrong... (Hopefully)....

You never know until you've tried....

Guyv
              Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
              - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
              - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
              - 6.1 Digital Audio
              - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
              - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
              - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
              - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
              - LS120 IDE Floppy
              - Zip 100 IDE
              - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
              - NEC FE950
              - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Check out Sharkey's site, Guyver. They list what they could get out of it. My motherboard doesn't have any settings between 103 and 112, and I think they had success at 110. 112 wouldn't work for them though.

------------------
                Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

Don't forget:
                  http://www.overclockers.com

------------------
                  Cheers,
                  Steve

PS: Some or all of the above message may be wrong, or, just as likely, correct. Depends on what mood I'm in. And what you know. ;¬)

Comment

Greebe
                    I'm aware that the processors in a series are all pretty much the same thing. But the grading process is usually based on passing all the tests at a specified core voltage such as 2.2 volts. The point I'm making is that Intel had to up the specified voltage to 2.5 volts to get the P3-600 to pass. This is overclocking pure and simple, but Intel won't acknowledge that for the obvious economic reasons you point out. In the past, as the manufacturing process was refined, higher speed processors were able to make the cut at the originally specified core voltage.

Not that Intel is the only guilty one. It appears the opposite is true with the Athlon. AMD is apparently using the same CPU chip and slowing it down with resistor changes to make the lower speed grades.

RAB
                    AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Well, I'm currently at work with my PIII-600, and out of the package, it reads as a standard 2.0V. I inserted it into my work system with a Gigabyte BX2000 mobo (dual BIOS), and the FSB set to 112 (gotta go for as fast as I can with this slow 100Mhz SDRAM)...

So far - no problems at 672Mhz...

Will report later tonight or tomorrow (spent all night rebuilding our offices primary NT server .. Exchange 5.5, etc... too many services all on one box)...

Hoping for the best...

Guyv...
                      Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                      - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                      - 6.1 Digital Audio
                      - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                      - LS120 IDE Floppy
                      - Zip 100 IDE
                      - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                      - NEC FE950

Comment

Greebe,
                        You're mostly correct. The CPU cores may all be off of the same wafer, but the ones in the center get better exposure, and are usually of higher quality. Also, even if your P3-450 core were 600Mhz quality, they probably didn't put 300Mhz L2 cache on there, unless you're really lucky. Otherwise, it's just approved for 225, and happens to do 300.

-Wombat
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Hmmm...

When are those BE6-II (BF6) boards going to be available? I think I may have one of those early BE6's that, although you may set the voltage differently, it doesn't actually get a higher voltage. I can't do beyond turbo on the 600 with my BE6. I'm not about to switch to the BX2000 that I have at work, as that uses dip switches to set stuff.

Hmmm - For sale - slightly used PIII-600, $595 USD plus shipping. 3-year Intel Boxed warranty on the processor...

(Only slightly joking on that.. Will probably use that as a server machine with my BX6R2 motherboard)

Guyv - who sticks with his original sig...

------------------
                          ABit BE6, PIII-450 OC'd 600Mhz. 128MB PC133HSDRAM, 2.0V, 39C, Matrox Millenium G400 MAX, Adaptec 2940UW, Seagate Cheetah 9.1GB, Quantum 4.5GB, Kenwood 52X TrueX, Mitsumi 3XDVD, Sony SDT-5010 4MM DAT, Toshiba 32X SCSI CD, Memorex 6x2x4x CDRW, Iomega 100MB Zip ATAPI, 1.44MB 3.5" Floppy, 3Com/USR 56K Voice Faxmodem Pro, HP DeskJet 895CXi, Pioneer VSX-3700S Dolby Surround Receiver, Design Accoustics 3-way fronts, Pioneer Surrounds, Logitech Marble FX

Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                          - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                          - 6.1 Digital Audio
                          - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                          - LS120 IDE Floppy
                          - Zip 100 IDE
                          - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                          - NEC FE950

Comment

I thought it was the new PIII-600B (133FSB) that ran at 2.05V and the original PIII-600 (100FSB) ran at standard 2.0V?

I really want to try 600 with my 450, but know of some permanent damage caused to Video cards at 133FSB. I dan't whan't to take a chance with my MAX, It'll take forever to replace it if that happens. So I'm "stuck" at 560 (2.0V).

Mark F.

------------------
                            OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a CD

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                            --------------------------------------------------
                            OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                            and burped out a movie

Comment

With the 133FSB, just set the AGP divider to 2/3 - you get an 89Mhz AGP bus which the G400Max adores.....

I'm going back to my PIII-450, but will be building a 2nd (slightly slower) system with the 600 on a BX6R2 board.

Guyv
                              Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                              - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                              - 6.1 Digital Audio
                              - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                              - LS120 IDE Floppy
                              - Zip 100 IDE
                              - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                              - NEC FE950

Comment

Working...
                              X