No announcement yet.

Memory, CPU and GFX choice questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you really going to see that much performance gain from a E6600 vs E6400 - for about 30% more in price?
    I only ask because I am looking for a simialr system , and have decided the performance/vs price doesn't justify the E6600.
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Well you have a point, but if I was going to buy at that price point it'd probably be AMD (I've always been loyal to them). At the E6600 price point, the 5400+ still has the drawbacks of the smaller cache and much higher power consumption.

I don't upgrade too often these days, so I want a big hike over my 3400+, and one that's going to last.
      FT.

Comment

I would probably say go with the E6400 just so you can throw more money at a video card.

just overclock a little, get a couple hundred MHz, you won't have to touch the voltage or anything or worry about heat issues.

- oh yeah, pretty sure you can't run ECC ram, might have to re-evaluate the budget.
        Last edited by Mehen; 23 February 2007, 14:35.
        Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
        Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Check out this article: http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/02/...for_the_money/
          "The Best Gaming Video Cards for the Money: February 2007"
          Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
          Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

I originally had an E6400, then sold it to someone and got an E6700 when they became available.

Honestly, there's very little noticable performance difference.

I'm not a heavy gamer these days so perhaps the story would be different if I was but for working in MS Office and even programming with Visual Studio, I'm not sure I could tell the difference on a blind comparison.
            Last edited by schmosef; 23 February 2007, 14:41.
            P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

I'm seriously considering just sending £300 to my mortgage company
              FT.

Comment

Working...
              X