Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't get my P3 450 over 504MHz please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get my P3 450 over 504MHz please help!

Hi all, i bought a P3 450 a few months back and have been running it at 504MHz 112 @x4.5 without any extra cooling. Seems fine and very stable though.
    I have tried o/c it further but it just won't go. I am new to o/c so if someone could explain what i need to do it would be a great help.
    My motherboard can go up to 133Mhz or is it 124Mhz, anyhow it just doesn't work.

Here's the specs:

Pentium III 450@504 FSB@112MHz@4.5
    128 meg SDRAM PC100@112MHz BUS
    QDI motherboard P6I440BX/B1S BIOS V1.6SLR
    TNT 2 M64 o/c @120Mhz MEM 113 CORE(detonator drivers)
    Voodoo 2 12 meg @95MHz

I have tried o/c my P3 above 504Mhz before i overclocked my video card to no effect though.

Thanks all in advance
    DJ Watts

Have you tried setting your memory to Cas 3, setting the L2 cache Latency to 8 and disabling Speed Error Hold. Also try to increase the core voltage to 2.3 volts if possible on your motherboard.

Paul
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

When you try to boot at a higher speed what happens? Does it just not post, or does it go to Windows and hang. Your memory just might not be able to run at higher then 112mhz. I've never had one myself but I've read that the TNT2 doesn't like to run on an overclocked agp bus. Do you have the choice of changing your clock divider from 3 to 4? If so, change it to 4. If it loads to windows and crashes try lowering your HD PIO. Hope this helps.

------------------
      Geek in shining armor.
      "Saving the world with code."
      Grape Juice - Geek in shining armor.

Comment

Not many TNT2 boards like 82+ Mhz on the AGP bus... You should have bought a Matrox G200 or G400, bud...

Don't get your pantyhose in a knot. I'm just dizzin you.

Regards,

Jake
        Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
        ----------------------
        Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Comment

Ooops my mistake! The highest the board will go to is 112Mhz sorry bout that all!

I am going to check my BIOS now to see if i can change a few other things like latency, Cheers ALBPM !

When i boot at higher speeds say 112@5.5 or 5.0 it reports the chip at 504Mhz again sometimes i get 464 i think.
          Also why can't i o/c at say 100Mhz x5.0 or even 5.5? Is it just stuck at the mltiplier 4.5 or something?

I will post back with the results!
          See ya
          DJ Watts

Comment

DJ -Your chip is clock locked. It will ONLY run at 4.5x. The only way to boost speed is by OC'ing FSB.

Mark F.
            Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
            --------------------------------------------------
            OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
            and burped out a movie

Comment

it may be one of the following

your agp video card. try a pci card and see if you can clock your system higher.

heat within your system. do you have extra fans sucking hot air out? what kind of cpu heat sink are you useing are you useing heat compound or a pad of some type between the cpu and heat sink?. if the answer is a pad retail heatsink or what is compound. then you need to fix thes things. (change to a better heat sink and use compund) good compond not radio shack.

your memory my not be up to the higher fsb. try a difrent stick (if you have access to it ) a cas setting of 3 may let you get a little higher.

some things that may help you figure out what is happening.

find a cheap digital air probe (themoiter) like one you would stick a lead out A window and see how hot cold it is run the lead inside you case you will noe get an idea of you case temp. (secure the lead so it dose not totch anything as som,e leads have a metal tip. (also you can move this thing around and find hot spots.)

one of thes things should cost no more than 5 to 10 bucks and comes in handy if your mobo dosen't have a temp sensor. and they work fairly well.

oh well posted too late just ignore me

------------------
              why do i even bother? the world is full of backstabing lying bastards. do i resent them and wish them dead? Hell Yes!!!

[This message has been edited by merchant2112 (edited 10-01-1999).]
              msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
              it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

If I could elaborate a bit on what Mark said, a while back, Intel began "multiplier locking" their CPU's. They did this, supposively, to prevent retailers from remarking the CPU's. Your PIII 450's multiplier is locked at 4.5, and nothing is going to change that.

If your processor is capable of getting beyond 504 MHz, you're going to have to get a motherboard capable of overclocking the front side bus beyond 112 MHz. Abit, Aopen, Asus, and MSI BX motherboards, amongst others, are capable of this.

That doesn't mean the other devices in your computer are going to like it. Remember, when you clock the FSB over 100 MHz, you're also overclocking your RAM, your AGP card, your PCI devices, etc.

Paul
                paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Cheers paulcs, well i can only acheive 112 FSB with my motherboard so i guess i will have to have it at 504Mhz.

If my board won't go over 112mhz, is it possible to update the bios on a board to make it go further to say 133mhz or is there no way of doing it by just updating the bios?

Hope so cuz i will keep checking for updates if its possible.

Cheers
                  DJ Watts

Comment

I was just wondering if it's safe to leave it overclocked @504 all the time, I have a P2b board, P3 450 and 4 fans blowing inside my case. I overclocked it once and everything was fine but I leave my system on all the time and wasn't sure if this was good or not. Setting the jumper all the time is a pain. Thanks

------------------
                    Asus P2b(1010),P3 450,128 mb pc100,Matrox G400 DH,Asus 50x,Iomega zip,Mitsumi CDR,Ibm 10 gb hd,Sb Live,Win 98
                    Asus P2b(1011),P3 500,256 mb pc133,Matrox G400 DH,Asus 50x,Iomega zip,Mitsumi CDR,Ibm 20 gb hd,Promise ultra 66 controller,Sb Live,Win 2000 pro

Comment

Working...
                    X