• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows for Warships

This is just plain scary;

story....

Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Oh well, they are using W2K, so it aint as scary as if they'd use Me, NT or CE (normally known as CEMENT).
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

In a real battle situation the 'blue screen of death' may be literally that.
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

I know that we've discussed this before. Maybe even a few years ago.
        P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

but is a blue screen of death really that much worse than a kernel panic?
          We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

It was more than a few.... it was nearly 6 years ago.

The US Navy Standardized Win2K back then...The Royal Navy is trying to standardize.

Speaking of standardization; even the hardware is standardized, which means you can build customized installations of Windows free of common issues which commonly plague sysprep and other deployment solutions which need to support a wide array of different hardware types. These are "combat appliances" which happen to run a customized version of Windows 2000.

It is far easier to be a pundit than a problem solver; and he is most definitely grinding an axe. He's credited himself as a UDT diver, who knows full well than no Submarine leaves a foreign port without a physical inspection of the hull by a diver.

No commissioned ship will be without a Watch aboard; the Computers aboard are all built according to best practices. Which means no floppy drives, CD-ROMs or other storage attachments are permitted in unsecured areas. Even in the secure areas, the automounting of disk drives and other normally "active" features of Windows are disabled. The secure areas of the ship are behind lock and key; and these are not the sorts of locks and keys someone makes copies of; mostly because the blanks are non-standard, secondly the Watch commander at the time happens to have them in his control.
            Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
              This is just plain scary;

story....

Doesn't sound all that bad. Did you read what they ran on before?

Comment

"calculate our range to target...."
                "target in range sir"
                "ready guns"
                "guns ready"
                "fire"
                "uhhh, sorry sir, windows crashed"

hehe

Comment

And...what's so wrong with NT, Technoid?

Comment

Originally posted by Elie View Post
                    "calculate our range to target...."
                    "target in range sir"
                    "ready guns"
                    "guns ready"
                    "fire"
                    "CPU overheating properly. fire laid"
                    fixed.
                    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere View Post
                      And...what's so wrong with NT, Technoid?
                      nothing except that its a royal PITA when you have to install HW on it
                      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Immediately thought of Calvin and Hobbes!

Kevin
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X