Help me pick a new receiver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me pick a new receiver

It's getting time to start replacing what was lost in the fire. The only piece of electronic equipment that needs to be replaced is the receiver. It was out of the entertainment center and got dumped on when the roof leaked three days after the fire.

It was an old but good receiver. It was the Sony STR-D511 and did a pretty decent job. The only problem with it is if you both the A and B channels of audio output on the volume went down by a noticeable degree. Channel B goes out to the studio for tunes.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Sony STR-DG600 and possible the STR-DG800 if the improvements are worth it. It will eventually be hooked up to a projector, until that it will be hooked up to the Sony 27" WEGA.

I'm not dedicated to Sony for a receiver.. just what is best for the money and my needs. Here is what I'd like:

- 5.1 audio output (7.1 is nice but unlikely to be used)

- enough juice for the audio that running A and B front won't decrease the volume

- component and s-video output; the more the better and at least 2 component inputs (DVD and Wii), I'd like this to be a replacement of the receiver AND the game system switch box.

Thanks in advance guys.
    Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Best bang for the buck would be something from the Yamaha line say the RX-V557 or 657 or 757.
    All of these sport video up conversion, so any inputs on the RCA or s-video connectors will get upconverted to component - nice so you needn't run more than one set of cables to the projector.
    I'm not a fan of the Sony's- they tend to sound a little flat (to me anyway) and be overpriced feature-wise.
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Denon, Onkyo, Pionneer Elite
      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
      Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

DO NOT BUY SONY!

I recommend Yamaha's that GT40 recommended.

Regards,
        Elie

Comment

This is why i ask you guys. Keep them coming The Yamaha's look interesting and I'll look into your suggestions Mehen.. and models in particular?

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Price range?
            Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)

Comment

The Pioneer Elite lineup of AV receivers range from ~650 to 1500 USD (MSRP), even the lowest models have a wealth of features.

Check em out here
              Pioneer Electronics car audio and home theater entertainment products including in-car GPS navigation, Android Auto Enabled Receivers, Apple Car Play enabled Receivers, Pioneer and Elite Receivers, headphones, iphone car stereo, car stereos, bluetooth car stereo, car radio, speakers and Blu-ray/DVD Drives

The lowest model, the VSX-80TXV:
              7.1 110W x 7
              S-Video Input: 5 (includes front)
              S-Video Outputs 1
              Component Video Input 3
              Component Video Outputs 1
              Monitor Outputs 4 - HDMI, Component, S-Video, Composite
              Can handle 1080p HDMI signals

Comment

The Pioneer Elite lineup is one of only a very limited amount of AV receivers that my preferred local hifi dealer has - and the other's aren't in most peoples price range (aka Krell)

Comment

My parents went with the Marantz SR6001. It has:
                  2 hdmi in, 5 component in, 5 svideo in, 5 composite in,
                  1 hdmi out, 1 component out, 3 svideo out, 1 composite out
                  support for second room (audio only)
                  Auddysey MultiEQ

Jörg
                  pixar
                  Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Marantz makes an excellent product, definitely an option.

Check out the Cambridge Audio Azur 640R 7.1 HDMI AV Receiver too

I have a Cambridge Audio Azur 640A Integrated Amplifier 65Wx2channel. Sounds amazing.

Comment

NAD also makes some audiophile-ish receivers akin to the Cambridge http://nadelectronics.com/products/av-receivers

Comment

Ok all those receivers look awesome.. but a bit out of my pricerange. the Sony STR-DG800 is $300 on Newegg and the 600 is getting close to $200. I'd like to spend more but I'm honestly looking for the best bang for the buck in the time being. Things like welding equipment will be taking precident. Oh and I'll likely be buying a $1k projector for it when we move back in as well. I'm looking to improve upon what was but could probably find the old receiver for $50 if I wanted. I don't want to mind you.

Comment

Might be best sticking with a Yamaha then.

Comment

Working...
                          X