Restarting computer crashes and loops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restarting computer crashes and loops

Hi guys and gals, this is a problem with my HP Xw9300, when I cold start, it boots to Windows XP SP2 no problems.

When I restart, it crashes at the point of loading windows and loops endlessly.

When I restart and go to the bios then save and exit, it loads to windows fine.

What the heck is going on here? Corrupted Windows boot sector, the OS itself? hardware issues?

Thanks in advance,
    Elie

You didn't install Frogger did you?

Comment

Hehe, no This is my dedicated editing system, wonder if a system restore would work.

Comment

perhaps a cmos reset might help, or reseting ESCD stuff.

Don't forget to take note of your setting before doing it.

Comment

Have a good look at your PSU voltages and the battery, and the electrolytic caps on the motherboard. Any that don't have flat shiny tops could be the source of your problem.
          FT.

Comment

I checked the mobo, all was fine, did a system restore, same issue.

So I tried to reinstall windows thinking it was the problem, windows wouldn't even recognize the C drive, but that was because the C drive is on the internal raid array as a stand alone drive, anyway, that led me to test other aspects like the DVD players.

I had just bought a new player, I have two, one was set to Cable Select and the new drive was set to slave.
            When I had the DVD's disconnected, the problems went away, so now I know what the cause is.

Cheers,
            Elie
            Last edited by Elie; 3 September 2007, 21:49.

Comment

Doh!
              FT.

Comment

CS = Cable Select = Computer Stupidity
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid View Post
                  CS = Cable Select = Computer Stupidity

I completely agree

Comment

I formatted and reinstalled windows, now all is good with both DVD drives connected properly.
                    I suspect a bad sector on the C drive.

Cheers,
                    Elie

Comment

Working...
                    X