Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the absolute fastest OGL AGP card available?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the absolute fastest OGL AGP card available?

That's the question. Need to soup up an old AGP system, programming in OpenGL.

TIA.

T.
    FT.

It kind of depends on the application. Are you using any specialized OGL apps, or writing your own? I ask since some of the speciality graphics boards like ATI FireGL and the nVidia Quadro have special acceleration support for OGL calls above what the normal commercial level boards do.
    If you can take advantage of that, then that series of boards will be faster.

Comment

The system was bought with a Wildcat 6110 for use with custom VR s/w. At the time the vendors thought a recent nVidea card would have been as good but the guy wanted to stick with what he knew. Now its someone else using the system, writing everything in C++.

Ta.
      FT.

Comment

What is the absolute fastest OGL AGP card available?

Answer: three letters...M3D, nuff said.

Seriously though, I was going to suggest another 3Dlabs products but...

On February 24th 2006, Creative Technology Ltd. (NASDAQ: CREAF) announced that its subsidiary, 3Dlabs® Inc., Ltd. will refocus its 3D graphics business on the portable handheld device market and de-emphasize its professional workstation graphics business.

3DLABS will continue to support its Legacy Wildcat graphics cards, but no longer sell or develop Wildcat graphics products.
        Don't know much about it but seems like the nVidia Tesla S870 seems to pack quite the punch.

Product: Tesla S870
        # of GPUs 4
        Total Dedicated Memory: 6 GB (1.5 GB GDDR3 per GPU)
        Peak Flops: Over 500 gigaflops per GPU
        Floating Point Precision: IEEE 754 single-precision floating point
        Titanium is the new bling!
        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Wow. that's quite a cruncher, but I think I'd have to mod it a bit to get it into an AGP slot
          FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
            Wow. that's quite a cruncher, but I think I'd have to mod it a bit to get it into an AGP slot

Force it in there, it'll fit.

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro View Post
              Force it in there, it'll fit.
              Man, thats just too easy to make jokes about!

Comment

Anyway, the FireGL X3-256 is a pretty fast AGP board. Besides that, from ATI the highest AGP board is the 1650 Pro I believe.
                From nVidia its the Quadro FX4000 which if I recall is faster than ATI's FireGL board.

Comment

Actually I believe the fastest ATI/AMD AGP card are some X1950 GT, PRO and XT's. At least that's what a quick search on Newegg shows.
                  Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
                  MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
                  Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
                  Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

The X1950Pro can be found for a pretty decent price, and I believe the XT's have come down, and are a fair bit faster. Availability might be an issue with the XT though.
                    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post

I'm too lazy to do a search but isn't there an PCI-e to AGP connector you can get or something? I think someone posted it somewhere in the GH forum.

Comment

Rings a vague bell, but I don't need it now, thanks. Long story.
                        Ta for the suggestions.
                        FT.

Comment

Haha, if there was a PCI-e to AGP connector I'm sure it was a joke. You'd need a bridge chip to do that, and it will run slower than AGP.

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro View Post
                            I'm too lazy to do a search but isn't there an PCI-e to AGP connector you can get or something? I think someone posted it somewhere in the GH forum.
                            There might be AGP to PCI-E but not likely the other way around.
                            Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                            Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Few hours back I've stumbled on info that 8-series Geforce chips will have AGP version soon(tm). Just saying, if you want to wait a bit...

(I think possible given that DX10 Radeons showed up in AGP versions...)

Comment

Working...
                              X