Early Adopters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Adopters?

Who here considers themselves an early adopter of tech and for what do you do it?

I can't remember the last time I was an early adopter for hardware. First Gen stuff is almost always overpriced and has growing pains. With software I avoid it unless I need a feature in a new version just to get the job done. I washed my hands of beta testing with XP when the RC I used (the one you paid $5 for I think) ate it's registry twice. This is versus Gurm who has had more beta whoa than anyone I know but can't seem to avoid the temptation.

The recent $100 credit for iphone early adopters is what got me on this thought process. Apple users seem to be especially prone to the desire for the latest and greatest. You definitely see it in the Console quarter. I admit to owning a Wii but I waited about 3 months. I tend to own every second revision of the Gameboy (original -> Gameboy Color -> Gameboy Advanced SP -> Nintendo DS Lite).
    Yes - I'm an early adopter, I can't help it
    0%
    No - I always wait for possibly fallout
    0%
    Sometimes - I tend to wait but sometimes I can't help it.
    0%
    I plead the fifth - the wife/gf is watching and has the bank statement
    0%
    Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

I used to be an early adopter, but my wallet can't afford it anymore.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I'm usually a 2nd generation type, but sometimes I could consider myself an early adopter. I got the first optical mouse by M$ when it came out, I think it was $100.
      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
      Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

...i used to be but i've lost intrest

Comment

Early adopter here. Sadly, I can't help it. I guess if I didn't have such a decent paying job, I'd change my process

Somehow I've avoided buying the iPhone, though I almost jumped on it when the price dropped. My goal is to wait for a 3G version and more memory for music. 32GB would be good. Or at least add a fricken SD slot so we cna add our own.
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia View Post
            Somehow I've avoided buying the iPhone, though I almost jumped on it when the price dropped. My goal is to wait for a 3G version and more memory for music. 32GB would be good. Or at least add a fricken SD slot so we cna add our own.
            Just wait for the knock off hong kong version to have that feature
            Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

I think I can't see right now any examples of beeing early adopter in my vicinity...though I do it when it makes sense, economically.

Like going with AMD the moment Duron came out few years back instead of "adored" then (and for half a year more...) Celeron.

Comment

Never really was, plus now the gf watches the account closely. But I let her, so it's all good.
                Titanium is the new bling!
                (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Depending on the case, I could be classified as an early adopter. But only for things I consider I need. For pc parts this is less the case (it only makes a small speed difference for a big price difference), but for gadget stuff it often offer more possibilities.

Jörg
                  pixar
                  Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I tend to let things settle a little, but usually go for a quality version of something once prices have dropped.
                    FT.

Comment

Tend to wait for OS's, but will jump on hardware/software if the price isn't too out of line.
                      Dr. Mordrid
                      ----------------------------
                      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                      X