Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surprise : PC's playing up ;) (again...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The PIT View Post
    First of all mem test you need to run it overnight a few hours isn't enough.
    Certainly there is faulty hardware in that rig somewhere.
    Clicking hard drive is one place to start. However you've got so much in there you need to start at the basics. So strip everything out and just use the basic set up. If that runs fine then slowly add the rest of the hardware back in. Slow painful but it stops you chucking money at the wrong piece of hardware.
    What's the power supply voltages under load. I had one power supply go wobbly kneed and that produced a clicking hard drive as it couldn't provide the power. I fired up the Motherboard monitor and ran defrag. 12v line fell to 11V straight away.

The clicking Hard drive happens mostly when i'm not looking, but it sounds just like the PC hard rebooting, a sudden 'click', the sudden pauses were not a consequence of the click...

I have taken all the drives out, and left the DVDRW, a PATA hard drive (just one PATA connector).
    PCI cards: the adaptec SATA controller, with no disks, and Audigy 2 ZS PCI.

I made an image of the partition, before activation, and before any updates, just drivers, AV, Firewall, PG2.

The power supply is actually Above standard, at load.
    When I was at 5GHz, I checked with ASUS Probe II, and in the BIOS afterwards.
    12V, 5V, and 3.3V are all above their nominal, ie the 12V was at about 12.3V, 3.3 at 3.5V etc...The voltages are never below their standard values.

I have removed the Raptor 150Gb, since I have had trouble with them before...
    Only one PATA connector is annoying, the IDE cable won't do the disk and the DVD unless both are outside of the case, or the DVD is in the bottom 5 1/4in, and the HDD in the one above...

Will be leaving like this for now, and will set memtest up overnight.
    Will be trying the drives one by one in a separate PC (The duron) tomorrow.
    Last edited by Evildead666; 4 December 2007, 14:15.
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by Evildead666 View Post
      Incoming and outgoing connections on bootup, that I have NOT allowed.
      OK, but why do you think p2p software is to blame?...

AS for the CPU choice, this mobo won't accept anything above Pentium D...
      It's unlikelly that's the fault of CPU, mobo woudl be closer to the top of the list (though not on top)

Anyway, since it turned out that freezes don't correspond to HDD clicks my recollection turned out to be useless (had a problem with HDD that ran out of space meant for realocated sectors, so it started to detoriate badly/had problems with reading data, which led to freezes)

So I guess your best bet is what Pit and I suggested earlier - start from the minimum. (seems you're doing that, but Adaptec and Creative are also excessive )

Comment

I don't know where the incoming, or more shockingly, the outgoing connection are coming from, since I have installed barely any programs.

I installed the K-Lite codec pack, 3.5.7f and PG2, and Zonealarm. and AVG.
        Thats it. and that weird thing came up...outgoing...

I suspect P2P, since there are active organisms against it, and with a fixed IP, I am an immovable target.

Both of my previous Raptors had problems with bad sectors, intermittently, and complete inability to boot. Theyre in a box until i dare use them as storage again..

I put Memtest on while i popped out earlier, and it ran flawlessly for 3h35mins, 6 passes, no errors. The memory is running at DDR2/533MHz 5-5-5-15-20.
        The fsb is 800.

just about to install Real Alternative, and plug in the Stor USB drives.
        Its three usb connectors, on a hub. the hub is powered by the port, but none of the usb cables need power. Stor has its own 350W Enermax PSU.

I'll still put Memtest on overnight to be safe.

edit: with the onboard sound, Realtek HD Audio, I have to increase the volume on my Amp by 11.
        I go from -35 with the Audigy to -24 on the Realtek to get the same volume...-24 on the Audigy is for Films and DVD's even -16, but thats pretty loud in the action scenes...
        Last edited by Evildead666; 4 December 2007, 18:08.
        PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Evildead666 View Post
          I installed the K-Lite codec pack, 3.5.7f and PG2, and Zonealarm. and AVG.
          Thats it. and that weird thing came up...outgoing...

I suspect P2P, since there are active organisms against it, and with a fixed IP, I am an immovable target.

It couldn't just happen by itself, just by using p2p. Or it's a case of overreporting by monitoring programs...

Comment

I watched a couple of bits of some movies i have, looking for something to watch, and the third one i opened rebooted the PC, bluescreen was too fast for me to see anything.
            the first two were Xvid, the third was Divx 5, so GSpot tells me.

I ran the same file again after reboot,and fine...
            No more probs so far....guess i'll know if the RAM and Memory controller are good tomorrow morning...

Comment

friend of mine had similiar unexplainable symptoms ... it worked after he underclocked the processor. No clue if that works for you, but maybe as a last try ....
              "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Originally posted by Rakido View Post
                friend of mine had similiar unexplainable symptoms ... it worked after he underclocked the processor. No clue if that works for you, but maybe as a last try ....

Heh, might be my last resort ...
                but i can't find anywhere in the bios to change the multiplier, so i'd be running a really low fsb..

I managed 7 hours of memtest last night, 12 passes,no problems...
                The hard disk is OK, since it was virtually brand new.

As a real, last resort thing, I have a 6200TC PCIe to swap for the 8800gts, in case its that that i've borked...

Comment

I suggest disable automatic restart and then you should see the blue screen. Write down the number and google it.

Get yourself some decent anti virus software as well. Seen to many disease ridden machines with avg on them to have any faith in the program.

If you suspect PG2 why are running it???
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Automatic restart is not enabled.
                    I don't suspect PG2 lol,

Kaspersky was bitching about every little mundane thing, so i didn't renew it...
                    AVG is nice and quiet, daily scan...daily update.

Comment

Reet. tested the four RAID drives yesterday with WinDLG the diagnostic tool provided by Western Digital.
                      1h20mins for each drive for the full scan. All ok.

The 150Gb Raptor, which i was just setting up, has failed the quick test, SMART is OK, but the quick test says that the Log cannot be read. (a bit more complex than that, but definately Log and Read = NO). 6months old, and was a pressie from the USA...not gonna be going back...

While i'm at it, i'm just going to re-test the Raptor 74Gb and the 36Gb...and any other WD drives I have spare... may as well.

So the slowdown must have come from the Boot drive, and most of the problems also...

Oh well, will let you know how all the drives pan out...

J

Comment

Super sweet. Noticed there was an update for Adobe Flash, and did that (using IE7).
                        Then my PC started to get 'choppy', so I though i'd better reboot.
                        Managed it once, still choppy, reboot again, bluescreen.
                        Running memtest now to see if prob, gonna have to change the memfor 2x512Mb that I had in ther at the beginning...

Only the Raptor 150Gb was problematic, the 72Gb and the 36Gb passed without a hitch.

As a very last resort, i'll have to put the Pentium D 805 in there to see if its really the CPU or the Mobo if the memory doesn't work...

Comment

Memtest did a quickie and it was fine.

Saw on a web forum that running a Linux live CD may help find the problem, since they may be more 'vocal' about the problem than Microsoft.

Damn Small Linux 3.1 gets as far as the creation of the Ramdrive, and reboots around there, second boot, it didn't even get to the ramdrive bit.
                          In fact, it also stated that the video mode was incorrect, and gaev me the choice of 80 column modes to choose from...

I also tried Feather Linux Live CD, 0.75, and it managed to create the 1.6Gb RAMdisk OK, but rebooted when detecting the peripherals...

I've probably buggered everything (figuratively)...at least i'm learning from this...never had such a badly 'damaged' machine so far that I haven't been able to repair in a jiffy.

Comment

Tried 2x512Mb of RAM, and just one stick of 1Gb and 512Mb in one slot, different slots, and it was still fidgety...

So, pulled all the Watercooling, put the standard NB Heatsink, Had an Ultra 120 which was unused, so put that on as well, and changed the CPU to the 805D (2.66GHz).

Put the 2x512Mb in for the Mo, just to see if this is really stable.
                            If not, its the Mobo.

Give it a week, and see what happens. Gives me time to finish building the Duron into a fileserver...will keep my meddling hands at bay too, and not try to touch this 805D again ( got it to 4.1GHz on air last time i tried)...

Comment

Its actually a bit quieter now, since all the fans are IN the case, and i've shut the side panel.
                              Thats a total of 10 fans. NB-1/CPU-1/PSU-2/Case-2/VRM-1/MEM-2/GPU-1

I added some extra ones, since the Ultra 120 doesn't blow onto the mobo..

Comment

While I was changing processor yesterday, i was reminded of my socket 370 days with PIII's...
                                i especially remember a friend of mine who had an Asus CUSL2 Black pearl motherboard, and had problems with processor recognition...I lent him a Celeron 900 S370 to switch, and that sorted the motherboard out.
                                He was then able to put the PIII back in and had no more problems...

Would it be faesible to think that hitting 5G's did *something* to the motherboard data, and the fact of changing the CPU would force the motheerboard to update, and correct, said data ?

I'll be testing this thought next week after this current system has deemed itself stable.
                                i.e. the 945D isn't damaged or dead, just the Mobo got its knickers in a twist when it was pushed too far...

Comment

Working...
                                X