100Hz / 120Hz Flat panel TV's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharp Aquos - LC65D93U

...sadly my new set doesn't have the 120hz function...it does have "Fine Motion" though, which is probably a cheap substitute...but does give it a 4ms responce time for all 6,220,800 dots...with no dead ones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i did watch the browns spank the jets in beautiful HD on this TV the day after i set it up and i didn't notice any "edge blurring"...the game play and motion looked smooth to my eyes. bluray content looks absolutely beautiful on this tv

...am i missing anything???

C

Comment

FWIW, I just got a Bravia @60 primarily for sports.

The only place I see motion blur is during hockey games when the camera pans quickly from 1 end zone to the other if a player took a slapshot down the ice.

Football & basketball are fine.

However, watching a hockey game via dish doesn't give me the motion blur.

I don't know how true this is but I was told that my cable provider is compressing the signal a few times in order to have room to carry more channels and that their decoder box is the one that has problems decoding the signals while the dish is compressing the signal once into mp4 format.

Comment

This is a reply from the Video Forum here.

Hulk is doing Video editing for a long time now, I know him from different Forum prior to my presence here.

Him and several other members of the Video Forum here (they know who they are ) are always a great contribution to the Video Forum here and anywhere else.

I trust their opinion more then let say Camcorder Info web site reviews.

Here is his comment on the 120Hz feature:

Originally posted by Hulk View Post
        Andy,

It's funny you should ask this because I just purchased big screen TV for my Home Theater.

Here's how it went for me. And keep in mind everybody has a different opinion. You have to buy what looks best to you!

I went out to quite a few stores and looked at all of the sets. I also did some online research just so I had some idea of some of their perceived strengths and weaknesses.

Right away I (any my wife) noticed the Samsung and Sony's seems to be better than the Sharp's, Phillips, and other name brands. I'm talking about LCD only right now. The Samsung's and Sony's seemed to have better detail in shadow areas, better off-angle viewing, and better colors. Just better overall.

Next I compared the Sony XBR to the W to the V. The W and V were the same to my eyes. I believe there are only a few minor technical differences between the two like xv colorspace being supported by the W. I wasn't viewing an xv source so I can't comment on that.

The difference between the XBR4 and the W/V was significant in my opinion. The 120Hz screen was showing significantly less stuttering during pans. The picture was somehow smoother and less "LCD-like" on the XBR4 vs the W/V. Shadow detail better. Just overall more pleasing. And I reset both sets to default to try and level the playing field. In addition with SD material it was no contest with the XBR doing a much better job.

The Sammy 4665 and 4071 were also both very nice but the 4065 didn't have the 120Hz screen so it was out and they both have the glossy screen which I don't like.

So far it was the XBR4 for me on top.

Next I checked out the plasmas. I liked the 750U Panasonic and of course the Pioneer Elite Kuro models which were upwards of $5k which I wasn't prepared to spend.

So for the money it came down to a 720p Pioneer plasma or the Sony 1080p XBR4 LCD.

In favor of the LCD was
        Much lower energy usage, 100W compared to 300W after both sets are calibrated.
        No possibility of screen burn in with the LCD, especially important with using computer
        1920x1080 resolution with the computer is much nicer than 720p.

In the end I went with the Sony 52XBR4 and couldn't be happier. I using a HTPC I built to drive it and the picture is really incredible. Browsing the web is really neat. The text is perfectly clear and I can read it from 8 or 9 feet away with no problem. I'm doing DVD/HD-DVD/BR and streaming media from the HTPC and the quality of the picture is simply fantastic. Even SD DVDs look really good. Of course HD-DVDs and BRs are outstanding.

I ended up buying the 52XBR4 from Amazon for $3199 with free shipping and "white glove" delivery service. Which was quite good. Two guys delivered and carried it to where I needed it and helped me set it up. They were very nice and waited around until I checked it out fully. Then I let them go. It was a great purchase experience.

You also get 30 day price protection on Amazon and since I used a World Mastercard the factory 12 month warranty automatically gets extended to 24 months.

Hope this helps.
        Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Working...
        X