Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm getting an ADSL connection! Any advice appreciated.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm getting an ADSL connection! Any advice appreciated.

They're connectiong it Dec 6. Yea!!!!!
    I would like to share the connection on my wifes computer. But, all the software I've seen requires both computers to be on. Is there a way to yust plug the cat5 into the uplink port of our switch hub and connect either or both?

Any other advice?

Thanks in advance!
    chuck

------------------
    ABit BH6 w/ Celery 333@500, 128mb gh@cas2, 10gb IBM@7200, SB Live Value@3.0, noname CDRom@40x, Mitsumi CDRW@2x2x8, Zoom@56k, Princeton EO75@1024x768x32x85hz, USB mouse,Matrox G400 MAX!!!!

Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Icestorm's advice coincides with my experience.

For a relatively small additional charge, most likely, your ISP can supply you with a second IP. Using this setup, you can have both or just one machine on.

Or you can use one of several Internet sharing (and IP masking) setups, as Icestorm mentioned, but the machine attached to your DSL router or modem, with an IP address assigned to you by your ISP, *must be on* and functioning as a server of sorts. It must have a second NIC with a generic IP assigned as well, and this second NIC is connected to your router. The sharing machines have their own generic IP's which are masked from your ISP. (DSL ISP's hate this!)

So there you have it. The first scenario allows you to have both or either machine running and on the Internet. The second allows for both to be on the Internet simultaneously, but the server machine must be turned on when the client is on the Internet. It provides the IP that permits you access to your ISP's services (think of it as an ID or password), and it provides that access to its clients (in this case, your wife's machine).

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 26 November 1999).]

Comment

Our DSL service does server assigned IPs.
      I wnder how that will work?

Hmmm, second NIC? Oh my aching IRQs!

thanks,
      chuck
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

What's the point with fixed connetion using dynamic IPs..?

_
        B

Comment

I assume they don't like sharing because they'd rather get the extra $10.00 a month from you for the second IP. I've heard stories (on the Internet, so I guess you can take it or leave it) where technicians show up, see the multiple NIC/hub setup, and refuse to do the installation.

I agree that it is your bandwith, and I'm willing to bet ISP's will only refuse installations in regions where they have a monopoly (if, again, the stories are true). And I also suspect that technicians from third-party providers, like Covad, could care less.

Paul
          paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Working...
          X