OLED display life to exceed LCD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OLED display life to exceed LCD!

While we love the low power consumption and ultra-high contrast achieved by OLEDs, there's one thing we hate: OLED's short lifespan. Toshiba and Panasonic are looking to change the game by announcing a new technology today that doubles the life of OLED displays. We're talking a bump from the stated 30,000-hour lifespan of Sony's XEL-1 TV to somewhere beyond that of your typical 50,000-hour LCD panel. Tosh and Panny's trick is to use a new metal membrane inside a prototype 20.8-inch panel to move light more efficiently. Let's see if this new development brings forth Toshiba's timeline for an OLED TV any. Please Toshiba, with sugar?[Via techradar] Read [Warning: subscription req'd]

According to the story Toshiba and Panasonic (no longer Matsushita, just plain Panasonic now) have developed a technique they claim will boost OLED's lifespan past the 50,000 hours that LCD displays have.

Now all they need is a low price and a large screen.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

They still need to fix the long term color shift due to B deteriorating much much much faster than R and G.

Comment

that could probably recalibrated automatically over its lifetime

Comment

The news sounds good to me. On the other hand big (20" and bigger) OLED displays won't be available for reasonable prices before 2010 I guess
        Asus H97 Pro Gamer| Intel i5 4690K| Noctua NH-U9B SE2 | Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 3GB | Soundblaster ZxR | 8 GB Kingston HyperX Genesis DDR3 1600| LG 24 MP88HV-S

Comment

Working...
        X