No announcement yet.

What speakers should I get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

acs33 = 36.00 to 40.00 here in us (pricewatch.com)
    in that price range you would be better buying a higher end 2 pc. speaker set. or saveing and getting something like the acs45.2 (that woiuld be the lowest end in the altec line i would consider good. 60.00 us (price watch) the acs45.2 has the new 6.5 inch wood sub it dose handle bass well for the price and the sats are ok.

as for other brands, yammaha makes a good speaker too. but here is an option you may not have considered. online auctions? i got my last set of good speakers that way a pair of acs400 prologic surrond with a 30watt sub at the time they were selling for 150.00 i got them for 79.00 new at onsale.com you may be able to get higher end speakers for a lot less. only read all you can about the manufacture before you start bibing make sure of what you are getting and compare the bid price to retail price. ive seen people bid ojn items and pay more at an aution than what they would have retail.

------------------
    my system has arived. all together and if i new about the usb bug in 98 with this board i would have been fiished a lot sooner.

msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650.(not overclocked its a real 650 they underclcoked.) 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic and 56k ext modem, xitel p storm sound card. lots of controlers joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel, and 19in monitor, usb logitech mouse.

i found the fix for the mouse hang problem.

msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
    it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

no matter the proce range, the promedia are the way to go... man these are impressive speakers... I had the Altec Lansing ACS 48 and couldn't beleive the diffence with teh promedia... just as if I removed some earplugs!!

Comment

So would I be better off getting the CL FPS1000 surround speakers instead of a 3 speaker system like the Yamaha MS28?

Comment

that depends on what you want to do. four point is real nice but a cheap 4 point is not better than a good 3point i have never liked cl speakers (includes cambridge) thier subs a plastic witch is bad for a sub. the more i lisen to the sub on the acs56 (one of the new wood subs by altec the more i like it. i can only imagine what the promedias will sound like (they show up tommarrow. so the acs are going back to comp usa friday.)i wwould still go with the 3 point system and then add in latter when you have more cash a closely matched rear set. witch will plug right into the second jack on your sound card. all in all you get what you payfor. you could have a killer sound card but if you hookit up to junk you won't be happy. stick with the yammaha (exspecialy if they have a wood based sub)

------------------
          my system has arived. all together and if i new about the usb bug in 98 with this board i would have been fiished a lot sooner.

msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650.(not overclocked its a real 650 they underclcoked.) 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic and 56k ext modem, xitel p storm sound card. lots of controlers joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel, and 19in monitor, usb logitech mouse.

msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel

Comment

The 2000 series of Cambridge FPS speakers use a wood cabinet for the sub-woofer. Of course the cheapest 2000 series FPS speaker set costs around $200 USD. I have the FPS1500's (5.1 white plastic things) and have heard the FPS2000's, there is a noticable difference in audio quality. FiringSquad loves the FPS2000 series speakers, they really are good, and have good bass.

The Klipsch on the other hand, supposedly kick the living crap out of everything. 400 W RMS of power (including a 160 W sub), THX certified and 110 dB signal/noise ratio at the listening position make them the tour-de-force of the multimedia speaker industry (if you can actually consider them multimedia speakers). Some links are here:

http://www.klipsch.com/
            http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...00/default.asp
            http://www.3dsoundsurge.com/reviews/.../pmv2-400.html

I plan on getting a set of these babies once I can scrounge up the cash.

Jammock

------------------
            PIII 450@something higher, 256 MB RAM, 35 GB on 2 WD Expert drives, Abit Hot Rod UDMA 66 controller, CL 6x DVD, G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, LinkSys Etherfast 10/100, DSI 56k modem, Addtronics 6896A Case w/ a crap load of fans and Dynmat noise dampening in it, MAG DX715T monitor.

Hi, my name is Jammrock. I'm a computer phreak and an EverSmack addict.

[This message has been edited by Jammrock (edited 01 December 1999).]
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I managed to get a demo of the following:

Labtec 2414 (2.1 with wooden box for sub)
              Yamaha YST-MS28 (2.1)
              Cambridge FPS1000 (4.1)

First I tried the Yamaha speakers - very nice with good clear base and good quality mid & treble too.

Next I tried the FPS1000, I thought that with 4 satalites it would sound good, but there was quite a bit of noise that was very noticable. The base wasn't as clear and the min & treble was not as crisp.

I then tried the Labtec 2414, hmm - not impressed. The sound was OK at low levels but at about half the volume that the other two could handle, distortion was evident.

So far, I think I'm with the Yamahas even though they're 2.1 rather than 4.1

Comment

I'm pleased you got a road test, you have to go with your ears. If the Yamahas sounded best for what you want to use them for, go get them. If you're buying a Super Quad card because you want to use A3D 2 for immersive Vortex2 A3D sounds, having those back speakers makes a real difference. (In my humble and biased opinion). The FPS1000, set up for Quad, sounds completely muddy if you pipe music at it, but if you set them to stereo they sound much,much better(for music). But playing the Aureal demos through them in Quad mode lets you know what they can do. It's horses for courses: if you want a hi-fi on your computer, get the best 2.1 speaker system you can find for the price(probably the Yamaha), or use your hi-fi, I feed out to my hi-fi from the computer. If you want to have fun with A3D 2 get the best 4.1 you can find (and for under 50 quid it has to be...)

:-)

dave

Don't make me angry...

Comment

Hey i have a set of Altec Lansing ACS295's these rock with my soundblaster 1024 Live

Got two pairs for £10, ex Dell speakers, from the company i work for EDS
                  A-Trend Mobo 6240 V2
                  Custom Heatsink/Globalwinfan setup
                  128MB/PC133/PC100 Combo
                  I-Will Slocket2
                  PIII Coppermine 500e@690 FSB 138
                  Windows98SE
                  Matrox G400 32 D/H (Latest drivers)
                  Soundblaster 1024 Live @3.0 drivers
                  8.4 West Dig (ATA 33)
                  6.4 Fugitsu (ATA 66)
                  MS Intell/Explorer USB
                  Pioneer 6/32x DVD
                  Memorex 48X CD
                  Altec lansing Sub + 2 satelite speakers

Golden Orb (www.plycon.com) being installed soon

Old Joes's Going for IT!!!

Comment

Yamaha speakers and Jensen headphones
                    sound really good

Derek
                    Wishing for snow, want to go skiing so bad its killing me.

Comment

I can't believe you all counted out the Microsoft DSS80. You can pick em up for about 80 american, and if you want surround... buy 2, nothings better than a dual sub system (get some push/pull action going and you can get some serious thump!). They have GREAT sound quality, and I'm talking about having them hooked up to my MX300 not the USB port. With the USB port they sound just that much better.

Comment

I would also like to hear the Altec Lansing 3 & 5 speaker systems but the only one I can find is the ACS33 which aren't very good!

Comment

jam i got my klips yesterday they are mine they are never going back they do blow away the comp hands down. i put on a ace of base and felt the wave of air comeing off the sub and i only had it set half way up. save get them they are worth every penney. the acs56 souonded nice for 149 but don't come close to the kilps.

------------------

noel

Comment

Got a set of Cambridge/Creative DTT2500's - sound great, good clarity - using digital only for the output...

They are out of the ballpark range (about $200 USD from Buy.com) but d@mn they sound good.

Guyv

------------------
                            ABit BE6, PIII-450 OC'd 600Mhz. 128MB PC133HSDRAM, 2.0V, 41C, Matrox Millenium G400 MAX, Adaptec 2940U2W, Quantum Atlas 10K 160/m 18.1GB, Quantum Atlas IV 4.5GB, Kenwood 52X TrueX Ultra SCSI, Mitsumi 3XDVD, Memorex 6x2x4x CDRW, Iomega 100MB Zip ATAPI, 1.44MB 3.5" Floppy, 3Com/USR 56K Voice Faxmodem Pro, HP DeskJet 895CXi, Creative/Cambridge Soundworks DTT2500 5.1 Digital Surround System, Logitech Marble FX, Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro (with 2 Port USB Hub)...

Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                            - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                            - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
                            - 6.1 Digital Audio
                            - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
                            - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
                            - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
                            - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                            - LS120 IDE Floppy
                            - Zip 100 IDE
                            - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                            - NEC FE950
                            - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Mmmmmmmm...Klipsch.

I am definately going to get a set of Klipsch, but I need to get a burner and a new power supply first. Going to get a Plextor 8x/4x/32x IDE burner (only $258, which is a steal for a top-of-the-line Plextor CD-RW). Probably a PC Power and Cooling 425W ATX P/S, then the Klipsch's.

Jammrock

------------------
                              PIII 450@something higher, 256 MB RAM, 35 GB on 2 WD Expert drives, Abit Hot Rod UDMA 66 controller, CL 6x DVD, G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, LinkSys Etherfast 10/100, DSI 56k modem, Addtronics 6896A Case w/ a crap load of fans and Dynmat noise dampening in it, MAG DX715T monitor.

Hi, my name is Jammrock. I'm a computer phreak and an EverSmack addict.
                              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Hey Merchant!

Great....I should have included in my first post that I had replaced a pair of old but at the time top-end Altech-Lansing speakers which I "thought" were great, but the Promedias really blew me away......

John

Comment

Working...
                                X