No announcement yet.

Looking for a DVD drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe they've improved it since the CAR CD players then?

Comment

I'll let you know when mine arrives and I install it after completing the Region free mod ;-)

Comment

Installed the drive no problem. I must say that it is much kinder to disks than tray loading. I also have an HP CD RW which the DVD sits on top of. The slot loading makes it much easier to accomodate the two drives as you don't have two trays to move disks between.

Love it! All I need is some movies to try now.

Vic

Comment

Does your sexy new Pioneer 10x slot load have the 2 pin digital output (SP/DIF?). I had a 6x slot load Aopen, but swapped it for a Samsung tray load that supported digital. I want to go back to slot load as tray is cak but can't find details on whether the 10x Aopen or Pioneer DVDs have this connector.

Comment

It does indeed! Wouldn't have a clue what to do with it though.

Vic

Comment

The Pioneer 10x slot load (DVD-104s) has SP/DIF output? Damn!

I just bought a Pioneer 10x TRAY load (DVD-114), and it DOESN'T have the SP/DIF.

Just checked Pioneer's website, and it's true; slot yes, tray no.

And I though the only difference between the two was the loading mechanism.... Oh well. I guess I don't really have any use for the SP/DIF at the moment anyway.

But anyone considering the Pioneer 10x; beware of this slot vs tray load difference!

Interesting question though..... I doubt Pioneer would have different PCB's for the 2 drives. They DO both have the same firmware. Therefore, it should just be a matter of adding the SP/DIF socket to the tray loaded PCB? Or is that just too simple... Does anyone know?

[This message has been edited by dwood (edited 13 December 1999).]

Comment

'scuse my ignorance, What can you do with the SP/DIF output?

Vic

Comment

Dwood,

Check over on www.dvdutils.com the chap who has done the region cracks for these drives will know as he has done some hardware mods as well.

Have you region cracked your drive yet?

Vic

Comment

The digital out port gives you AC3 (dolby digital) pass-thru decoding. Mine's plugged into my SBLive Platinum SP/DIF connector on the card. I have the VideoLogic digi-theatre which has a Dolby Digital decoder.

Comment

Working...
                    X