No announcement yet.

DVD and surround sound.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, definately getting stereo; checked by running through VCR and checking L and R level indicators...

BTW, thanks for your effort in this!

Comment

Here's some more info....

I found a cool site at http://users.telekabel.nl/daans/ called 'Dolby Palace'. They've got a bunch of mp3 files of surround encoded soundbits.

I downloaded a few and played them through WinAmp into my ProLogic receiver; everything worked great! Rear channels worked fine!

So, this proves (I think) that ProLogic CAN be output from my 'crappy' little AWE32 into a ProLogic receiver, which points my problem to either the MartoxDVD software not downmixing properly, or something in the 'The Matrix' DVD.

(All this Matrix vs Matrox can get confusing...).

So, the problem isn't solved, but at least I'm a little closer... I've got support e-mails into both Matrox and Divicore to see if they can help, but if anyone here has any more suggestions please let me know!

Thanks again,
      Dave...

Comment

Thank you for that explanation, Dwood. Very clear and concise.

But it leads me to another question then...

...if the signal is stereo (driving 2 speakers) until it reaches the Pro-Logic Decoder, which separates it into front and rear channels, doesn't that imply that the problem is in the hookup?

...since you know the decoder works... and we know we are playing a stereo signal, since the left and right front channel work... it sounds to my unprejudiced and ignorant mind that what must be happening is that the stereo signal is not reaching, or being recognized as Pro-Logic, by the Pro-Logic decoder, but simply being played directly.[But then would he not be getting stereo X2? Yes, of course he would, but he's not... so that can't be it...sorry, working this out out loud....]

Something must be preventing your ...what? where are the speakers hooked to? The receiver?... from recognizing the rear speakers when you play a DVD, since you don't even get stereo x2.

Is there an option in the DVD software to set the number of speakers? Surely it must not need you to specify stereo rather than mono...

Btw, have you tried playing an audio CD through this setup, just to see if you get stereo x2 there? Or have you had this setup for some time, and this is a new issue?

Because even though it's 'sillier' than birdy's suggestion , it never hurts to make sure that the rear wires haven't gone awry in some way...

---------------------
        Holly

Comment

All speakers are connected to the receiver. Here's a chicken-scratching layout of the setup (3 minutes in Paintbrush; whatya expect?).

ProLogic on the receiver works from TV and VHS VCR. CD's from CD player and computer will play stereo x2. Surround samples work fine played through WinAmp (see my message above).

The MatroxDVD software has a setting for 'Surround Compatible', which the documentation says will 'downmix for compatibility with ProLogic'. DVDGenie even has a 'ProLogic' button option which I've also played with.

As I mentioned in one message above, it looks like MatroxDVD is successfully 'encoding' the front channel audio (that's why not getting stereo x2), but missing the rear.

The mystery continues...

Comment

okay, birdy now sits within a circle of his own dismembered hair.

Have you tried other dvd players? windvd, powerdvd and even cinemaster 99? if you can get a DPL signal from them then we can assume that the matrox player is a bit pants. Another thing to try is a different dvd disc, i have a r1 matrix. if you have a r2 you may not have the DPL soundtrack available. Have you got a cassette deck attached to your hi fi. try recording some of the soundtrack and then playing it back through the receiver. do you get DPL now? If you have one are you using the spdif output from the dvd drive to the soundcard? you could disable this so the sound is decoded by the cinemaster engine rather than your soundcard which may negate the DPL encoding.
            1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
            Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
            Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

oh yeah i forgot. I can't use the special features within the matrix dvd either. it just locks up. i think this is a problem with the cinemaster as the hollywood plus does em good.
              1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
              Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
              Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

Disc is region 1 (Canada).

Tried recording the audio onto VHS and playing back; still no rear.

Drive is a Pioneer 10X; no spdif suppport.

Haven't tried other players yet; that'll probably be the next step. Just have to choose which to try.

BTW, MatroxDVD is the cause of the 'special features' problem. It will work if you use PCFriendly that came on the Matrix disc instead of MatroxDVD.

Comment

do you get dpl on pcfriendly?
                  1st system

System 2

system 3

System 4

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

You won't believe this....

When using PCFriendly before, no rear channel. But your question made me try it again, and all of a sudden IT'S WORKING!

Tried MatroxDVD too, and it's also working!!

I have NO IDEA what's changed... I've un-installed and re-installed both PCFriendly and MatroxDVD a few times, so maybe one of the little s/w 'bugs' worked itself out. Either way, everything seems fine now!! (Let's just hope it stays that way..).

I just wish I knew what changed to make it finally work.... Let's hope whatever it was it's permanent!

Anyways, thanks so much to both birdy and HollyBerri!

Time to go watch the Lobby Shooting Spree in ear popping DPL!!!

Comment

right that's it i am off to bed

]night then :-O
                      1st system

System 2

system 3

System 4

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

Would you mind (re)posting how to upgrade just the engine. So all options work within the MatroxDVD program?

I know it is something like only replaycing one or two files, from the originals to ones from the newer program. But Don't remember which one(s). And a search of the forums gave too many threads to hunt through.

Thankx,
                        Mark F.

------------------
                        OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a CD

[This message has been edited by Mark F (edited 14 December 1999).]
                        Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                        --------------------------------------------------
                        OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                        and burped out a movie

Comment

cinemasters 1027 engine runs all the special options of the matrix with no problems

------------------
                          its here, it's together and all the bugs are worked out.
                          msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650.(not overclocked its a real 650 they underclcoked.) 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic and 56k ext modem, xitel p storm sound card. lots of controlers joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel, and 19in monitor,microsoft inteli mouse explorer(5 buttons). klip promedia v2-400 speakers.

noel
                          msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
                          it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

Working...
                          X