88% Efficient CoolerMaster 900W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88% Efficient CoolerMaster 900W

80 PLUS Silver - first high watt PSU ever to get this. (There are 4 total, the other ones are 200-300 watters.)

List of 80 PLUS certified PSUs. Nice site for looking up appropriate PSUs for the build you are making. Typically the PSU will be more efficient at 50% load than 25% - so there is such a thing as having too powerful a PSU (if you want to maximize efficiency that is).
    The 80 PLUS® portal from CLEAResult provides the latest energy-efficient technology products and links to our program and its participants.

80 PLUS wiki page.
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

small switchmode regulators can do 95%+ so there is still room for improvement. nice to see none the less
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by |Mehen| View Post
      80 PLUS Silver - first high watt PSU ever to get this. (There are 4 total, the other ones are 200-300 watters.)

List of 80 PLUS certified PSUs. Nice site for looking up appropriate PSUs for the build you are making. Typically the PSU will be more efficient at 50% load than 25% - so there is such a thing as having too powerful a PSU (if you want to maximize efficiency that is).
      The 80 PLUS® portal from CLEAResult provides the latest energy-efficient technology products and links to our program and its participants.

80 PLUS wiki page.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_PLUS
      I'm more interested in the NXP 270 Watt unit, but I can't find it for retail sale if it's available at all (and for 230V). If you'd be interested in energy consumption you wouldn't build a 900W PC in the first place (I can't even begin to think what kind of ludicrous piece of pc needs 900W!)

Comment

SLI, Tri-SLI, 4xGPU SLI (dual GX2's), Crossfire, Quad-Crossfire...

Skulltrail (2x Quadcore).
        Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
        Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Well servers that can take 2 Xeons, 6 drives, RAID card, FBDIMMs generally come with 700-1100W PSUs. Consumer 900W PSUs are probably pure BS.

Comment

My company's newest blade enclosure has six 2400 W PSUs Granted, that's for 3+3 redundancy, but it sucks a whole lot of juice.

As for consumer PCs...

Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad can use up to 136 W at 3.2 GHz, the overclocked versions I'm sure go higher.

nvidia 9800 GX2 runs at 365 W at load, times two, equals 730 W.

10k RPM HDD(s), WD Raptors run 10 W at load, let's say you're a fool who runs two in RAID 0, that's 20 W.

Right now we are up to 886 W under load without taking into account cooling, optical, motherboard, network, sound or effects for those silly tweakers. Plus you never want to run your PSU at max load, if you can help it, since that degrade efficiency, so if you have a beast of a system, like shelled out $6k-$8k for one, then a 1200 W PSU would not be too much of a stretch.

For most purposes you don't need more than 600-750 W for a gaming system, depending on GPU configuratio, 450 W for a moderate gaming system, 350 W for a decent gaming system, and 250 W for mr. el-cheapo business/internet machine. IMO.
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

HP or IBM blades? Or maybe Dell or Supermicro? I had HP C3000 Shorty on a demo for a while. The awesomeness (and loudness) of fans on that thing dwarfs any enthusiast rig.

You rotate that red handle and fan module comes out. The module is about 25cm long.
              Last edited by UtwigMU; 27 May 2008, 16:42.

Comment

This is our newest monster:

Dell provides technology solutions, services & support. Buy Laptops, Touch Screen PCs, Desktops, Servers, Storage, Monitors, Gaming & Accessories

It's a sweet blade enclosure. It's just really big and heavy and expensive.
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

That's a beast. How loud is it? Love a good rack server but quiet the are not.
                  Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Working...
                  X