X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zac Browser - for autistic, and perhaps other, kids

Link....

Grandfather Builds Web Browser for Autistic Boy

The Zac Browser greatly simplifies the experience of using a computer. It seals off most Web sites from view, to block violent, sexual or otherwise adult-themed material. Instead it presents a hand-picked slate of choices from free, public Web sites, with an emphasis on educational games, music, videos and visually entertaining images.

John LeSieur is in the software business, so he took particular interest when computers seemed mostly useless to his 6-year-old grandson, Zackary. The boy has autism, and the whirlwind of options presented by PCs so confounded him that he threw the mouse in frustration.

LeSieur tried to find online tools that could guide autistic children around the Web, but he couldn't find anything satisfactory. So he had one built, named it the Zac Browser For Autistic Children in honor of his grandson, and is making it available to anyone for free.

LeSieur's quest is a reminder that while the Web has created important communication and educational opportunities for some people with cognitive impairments, computers can also introduce new headaches for families trying to navigate the contours of disability.

The Zac Browser greatly simplifies the experience of using a computer. It seals off most Web sites from view, to block violent, sexual or otherwise adult-themed material. Instead it presents a hand-picked slate of choices from free, public Web sites, with an emphasis on educational games, music, videos and visually entertaining images, like a virtual aquarium.

Other programs for children already offer that "walled garden" approach to the Web. But LeSieur's browser aims to go further: It essentially takes over the computer and reduces the controls available for children like Zackary, who finds too many choices overwhelming.

For example, the Zac Browser disables extraneous keyboard buttons like "Print Screen" and turns off the right button on the mouse. That eliminates commands most children don't need anyway, and it reduces the chance an autistic child will lose confidence after making a counterproductive click.

Children using the Zac Browser select activities by clicking on bigger-than-normal icons, like a soccer ball for games and a stack of books for "stories." The Zac Browser also configures the view so no advertisements or other flashing distractions appear.

"We're trying to avoid aggressive or very dark or complicated Web sites, because it's all about self-esteem," LeSieur said from Las Vegas, where he lives. "If they're not under control, they will get easily frustrated."

Autism generally affects a person's ability to communicate, and Zackary doesn't speak much. But his mother, Emmanuelle Villeneuve, reports that the boy can start the Zac Browser himself. He enjoys listening to music through the program and trying puzzles -- things he always liked before but hadn't been able to explore online, she said from her family's home in suburban Montreal.

Perhaps most tellingly, while he still acts out aggressively against the TV, she said, he doesn't try to harm the computer.

LeSieur didn't create the browser by consulting with people who are considered experts in disorders on the autism spectrum. The small software company he runs, People CD Inc., essentially designed the Zac Browser to meet Zackary's needs, and figured that the approach would likely help other autistic children. Early reviews have been positive, though LeSieur plans to tweak the program so parents can suggest new content Relevant Products/Services to add.

Several autism experts were pleased to hear of LeSieur's work, and not surprised that he had not previously found anything suitable for Zackary.

After all, the autism spectrum is so wide that a particular pattern of abilities or impairments experienced by one autistic person might be reversed in another. In other words, creating software that would work for huge swaths of autistic children is a tall order.

Indeed, the Zac Browser might do nothing for another autistic child.

That said, however, LeSieur's approach of limiting distractions and using the software as a confidence-boosting tool "is a very good idea," said Dianne Zager, director of the Center for Teaching and Research in Autism at Pace University. She said many autistic students tend to do best with educational materials that make unnecessary stimuli fade from view.

"Some parts of the Web have so much extraneous material that it can be distracting, and for the nonverbal child, there might not be an ability to negotiate that information," added Stephen Sheinkopf, an autism researcher at Brown University.

This is not to say the Web is necessarily barren for autistic children. James Ball, an autism-education consultant in New Jersey, said many children he works with enjoy Webkinz, where kids care for virtual pets. Others find chat rooms and instant-messaging a lower-anxiety way of socializing than talking to someone in person, he said.

But the Zac Browser might turn out to be the rare tool that can be configured to strike a chord with a wide range of autistic students, said Chris Vacek, chief innovation officer at Heartspring, a special-education center in Wichita, Kan. Vacek is considering using the Zac Browser at Heartspring.

One huge advantage is that the browser is free, while many assistive technologies cost upward of $5,000 and work only on specialized devices. But Vacek, himself a parent of an autistic child, said the Zac Browser's best credential is that it appears to pass what he calls Heartspring's "acid test": It has a high chance of increasing a child's ability to do things independently.

"Let's hear it for grassroots innovation," Vacek said.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Neat... but y'know, if everyone just put all that effort into CURING autism...

Of course, have you heard about those people who don't WANT autism cured? Yeah, it's disturbing:

Apparently there's a growing belief among high-functioning autistics that it's just a "difference".

Which, of course, only goes to prove that they're ... well ... broken, mentally.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Sounds disturbingly like the "deaf culture"
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
        Sounds disturbingly like the "deaf culture"

Yup. Don't want to hear. *sigh*

You know what this tems from, right? Political correctness and its roots in the touchy-feely feel-good-about-yourself 60's and 70's.

Seriously, I don't think we should discriminate against people with disabilities, but let's be clear: THEY ARE DISABLED. Being deaf shouldn't mean you are stigmatized, but it also shouldn't be "celebrated". It's a deficiency. Something to be fixed.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Praline: Hello, I wish to register a complaint...Hello? Miss?
          Shopkeeper: What do you mean, miss?
          Praline: Oh I'm sorry, I have a cold. I wish to make a complaint!
          Shopkeeper: Sorry, we're closing for lunch.
          Praline: Never mind that, my lad. I wish to complain about this parrot what I purchased not half an hour ago from this very boutique.
          Shopkeeper: Oh yes, the, the Norwegian Blue. What's wrong with it?
          Praline: I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. It's dead, that's what's wrong with it!
          Shopkeeper: No, no, it's resting, look!
          Praline: Look my lad, I know a dead parrot when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.
          Shopkeeper: No no sir. it's not dead. It's resting!
          Praline: Resting?
          Shopkeeper: Yeah, remarkable bird, the Norwegian Blue, beautiful plumage, innit?
          Praline: The plumage don't enter into it - it's stone dead.
          Shopkeeper: No, no - it's just resting!
          Praline: All right then, if it's restin', I'll wake him up! (shouts into cage) Hello Polly! I've got a nice cuttlefish for you when you wake up, Polly Parrot!
          Shopkeeper: (jogging the cage) There, it moved!
          Praline: No, he didn't. That was you pushing the cage!
          Shopkeeper: I did not.
          Praline: Yes, you did! (takes parrot out of cage, shouts) Hello Polly, Polly (bangs it against the counter) Polly Parrot, wake up. Polly. (throws it in the air and lets it fall to the floor) Now that's what I call a dead parrot.
          Shopkeeper: No, no. It's stunned.
          Praline: Look my lad, I've had just about enough of this. That parrot is definitely deceased. And when I bought it not half an hour ago, you assured me that its lack of movement was due to it being tired and shagged out after a long squawk.
          Shopkeeper: It's probably pining for the fjords.
          Praline: Pining for the fjords, what kind of talk is that? Look, why did it fall flat on its back the moment I got it home?
          Shopkeeper: The Norwegian Blue prefers kipping on it's back! Beautiful bird, lovely plumage!
          Praline: Look, I took the liberty of examining that parrot, and I discovered the only reason that it had been sitting on its perch in the first place was that it had been nailed there.
          Shopkeeper: Well of course it was nailed there. Otherwise it would muscle up to those bars and voom.
          Praline: Look matey (picks up the parrot) this parrot wouldn't voom if you put four thousand volts through it! It's bleedin' demised!
          Shopkeeper: It's not, it's pining!
          Praline: It's not pining, it's passed on. This parrot is no more! It has ceased to be. It's expired and gone to meet its maker.This is a late parrot. It's a stiff. Bereft of life, it rests in peace. If you hadn't nailed it to the perch it would be pushing up the daisies. It's rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. This is an ex-parrot.
          Shopkeeper: Well, I'd better replace it, then.
          Praline: (to camera) If you want to get anything done in this country you've got to complain till you're blue in the mouth.
          Shopkeeper: Sorry guv, we're right out of parrots.
          Praline: I see. I see. I get the picture.
          Shopkeeper: (pause) I got a slug.
          Praline: Does it talk?
          Shopkeeper: Not really, no.
          Praline: Well, it's scarcely a replacement, then is it?
          Shopkeeper: Listen, I'll tell you what, (handing over a card) tell you what, if you go to my brother's pet shop in Bolton he'll replace your parrot for you.
          Praline: Bolton eh?
          Shopkeeper: Yeah.
          Praline: All right.
          He leaves, holding the parrot.
          Death is not a disability! Dead people can still be active and contributing members of society!
          Is the shirt missing a sleeve? Buy it! Pay full price and celebrate it's 'specialness'!

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Originally posted by TransformX View Post
            Death is not a disability! Dead people can still be active and contributing members of society!
            Is the shirt missing a sleeve? Buy it! Pay full price and celebrate it's 'specialness'!

No no. If the shirt is missing a sleeve, you should cut off one of YOUR arms to make the shirt feel better about itself, then pay double, and keep paying monthly for the rest of your life.

Comment

Working...
            X