Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4 GB on 32-bit machine: how much is lost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, just added 2 GB, and now my bios (and Windows) report that I have...
    3070 MB

Shouldn't this read 3072 MB?
    (it read 1024 MB when there was only 1 GB present)

Are there tools to calculate how much addressing space is used by devices and the like?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

It depend son your graphics board and any add in boards also... If your video card has 512MB, then you take that out of the 3-4GB area, and then any other address space used by other boards or chips in your system.

You should be able to see all of the address space used in device manager if you change the view to "Resources by connection"

Comment

Originally posted by rylan View Post
        It depend son your graphics board and any add in boards also... If your video card has 512MB, then you take that out of the 3-4GB area, and then any other address space used by other boards or chips in your system.
        I know, but is there no easy way of finding out how much that is?

Other suggestions I had for the loss of the 2 MB is: video frame buffer (card is a Matrox Parhelia 4x with 128 MB) and bios bootblock.

(just to clarify: it is not about the 2 MB loss, I'm just curious)

Jörg
        pixar

Comment

Mark Russinovich to the rescue!!! Granted this is a fairly large and detailed blog, but it will give you all the details you need:

Second or third blog down, the site is running slow at the moment.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Ok, this I don't get...

I put in 2x 512 MB (first two slots), bios reports 1024 MB (ok)
            I add 2x 1024 MB (second two slots), bios reports 3070 MB (2MB short)

I remove all memory, then
            I put in 2x 1024 MB (first two slots), bios reports 2047 MB (1 MB short)
            I add 2x 512 MB (second two slots), bios reports 3071 MB (1 MB short)

I'll run memtest next week, but is there any way this can be explained...?

Jörg
            Last edited by VJ; 26 September 2008, 05:19. Reason: typo
            pixar

Comment

Bad rounding.
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Yup, bad rounding, thats all.
                You're not really losing it...

Also, the graphics card does NOT just take a load of memory.
                A 1Gb card will NOT take 1Gb of system memory.

If you enable TurboCache (Nv) or ATi's equivalent, then your low end card (16Mb-512Mb) will be able to 'borrow' system memory, up to a complete total of 1Gb for the card.
                A 1Gb card has no need, and will not address more than 1Gb...

DX11 calls for up to 2Gb vRAM, DX10 up to 1Gb.
                PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Bad rounding? Hehe, funny... didn't know this was possible...

Jörg
                  pixar

Comment

Just upgraded to 16G (2Gx8)

I got some registered pc3200 ddr1 cheaply on ebay, so I now I have 4 gigs spare 4x512 and 2x1G.

If you want to buy any of my old stuff cheap let me know, or if you want to know were to get cheap 2G's from.

Comment

I'm currently sticking with the 3 GB...
                      It is running Vista (32 bit, 64 is not an option), so the only way it could benefit from more memory is if I were to put a server OS on it. I tried it, but ran into issues with some softwares that refuses to run on servers (main reason to revert back to Vista).

In time, I might put a server OS on it again, but given the uses I would have for that machine, I think 3 GB could suffice.

But thanks, nice of you to think of me!!

Jörg
                      pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                        I'm currently sticking with the 3 GB...
                        It is running Vista (32 bit, 64 is not an option), so the only way it could benefit from more memory is if I were to put a server OS on it. I tried it, but ran into issues with some softwares that refuses to run on servers (main reason to revert back to Vista).

In time, I might put a server OS on it again, but given the uses I would have for that machine, I think 3 GB could suffice.

But thanks, nice of you to think of me!!

Jörg

Why is 64-bit "not an option"? Is there a specific program giving you trouble? 64-bit is a dream, a wonderful wonderful dream that never ever crashes and runs smoothly and fast.
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I would still get screwed

Comment

CPUs are 32 bit.
                          (oddly enough, it lists them as not supporting hyperthreading, even though this is the case)

This is the exact model. Note the 32-bit datawidth spec...

Jörg
                          Last edited by VJ; 17 December 2008, 07:56. Reason: Added link to intel spec
                          pixar

Comment

Remember ppl to add /3GB swith in boot.ini file (the files is hidden n boot partition). This helps sometimes when u got 4GB RAM
                            A CRAY is the only computer that runs an endless loop in just 4 hours...

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm View Post
                              Why is 64-bit "not an option"? Is there a specific program giving you trouble? 64-bit is a dream, a wonderful wonderful dream that never ever crashes and runs smoothly and fast.

Until you put an ATI card into it. Or Nvidea as they bsod as well.
                              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

What about Matrox?

Comment

Working...
                                X