Vista - 32 or 64 bit version?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista - 32 or 64 bit version?

I just built a new system and now I need to get me a windows vista and I need a bit of advice:

- Should I get the 32 or 64 bit version? (I have a core2 duo processor)
    - Can I install the 64 bit version on top of a 32 bit version? (I borrowed a copy from a friend)
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Many here (me included) will still say go for XP unless you NEED Vista.

Go 64bit if you have 4+ GB RAM. I think MS stipulate both 32-bit and 64-bit drivers are required to get certification so that shouldn't be an issue if you got Vista compatible hw.
    FT.

Comment

Always go 64-bit for Vista, and always install SP1. 64-bit is more stable than 32-bit for some odd reason, and SP1 puts RTM to shame.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Someone told me there might be driver issues with the 64 bit version or is that just an ugly rumor?

ALso, can I install the 64 bit version directly on top of the 32 bit version or do I need to reinstall?
        If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

That could be true.... Vista x64 requires signed drivers. Best to check what hardware you have. Most products should have them now.

I would reinstall.

Comment

Well my motherboard is an Asus P5E-VM HDMI, and my Graphics is an Asus EAH4850. CHecking the Asus site, the download section does indicate the drivers are "Vista 32/64" so I assume I should be alright.

I currently only have 2GB RAM but that's not to say I won't be upgrading in the future.

Also it appears that the 64 bit OEM is actually cheaper than the 32 bit at the moment, and the 64 bit comes with SP1.

So basically the advice here is to go with the 64 bit?

Comment

And upgrade that RAM if going with Vista. Seriously. 3GB minimum.
              FT.

Comment

I'm currently running the 32bit version on 2GB and I'm perfectly happy with the performance so far. The system is actually quite responsive. But a memory upgrade is an easy fix anyway should performance start to suffer.

Comment

Go Vista 64 bit with 6 to 8 GB's of ram!!

On my HP Xw9300 workstation with dual Opteron 275's (total 4 cores) and 2GB ram, when I would install Windows XP, I would have to hit F6 to install my onboard raid driver, and most drivers after Windows has finally installed, like the sound driver etc.

I had to install Vista 64 Ultimate on a different drive ont he same system and the difference in ease of installation and performance is night and day! Much better experience on Vista 64. The only driver I installed was the video card driver and of coarse SP1.

Vista 32 on the other hand is still a nightmare, sluggish and buggy, go with Vista 64bit just make sure you have a ton of ram.

Comment

I bought a 64 bit home premium edition with SP1 yesterday and did the installation last night.

All went smooth. I have to say the Vista installation process is quite streamlined. I did get a warning about some ICH9 driver incompatibility, but a download from the Intel site seemed to fix that.

The memory upgrade will have to come at a later point, but I am expecting to toss in another 2-4 GB in a month or so.

Comment

Good stuff, enjoy 64 bit computing!

Comment

So far I am

Comment

Working...
                        X