No announcement yet.

Google Chrome is out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Register: Your Copyright Goes Up In Smoke....
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Has anyone heard the stink about the Chrome EULA:

"By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any content which you submit, post or display on or through, the services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the services and may be revoked for certain services as defined in the additional terms of those services."
      CNET is the world's leader in tech product reviews, news, prices, videos, forums, how-tos and more.

Wow...talk about presumptuous.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Jinx!

Seriously though, if you go back through all of Google's services, including Gmail, they have this clause. Scary crap if you ask me.

Though you do have the title wrong, Doc. The user retains the copyright of all material, Google just has the right to use it, royalty free, forever. So if someone like me sent a story to a friend, Google has the right to post my story on their services and I can't do a damn thing to get any payment from them.

Well I can, but the lawyer fees would be hefty.

EDIT: Apparently all Google has already appended their Chrome EULA due to complaints:

Last edited by Jammrock; 3 September 2008, 19:42.

Comment

Yup, they updated it saying that you have the right to all your data, not Google.

So I am downloading and installing...again

Comment

For Chrome, yes. But not for all Google services.

Read through this and you see that this applies to all Google programs and services unless specifically superseded by the licence (proper Oxford style) of the application/service used. Section 11 has that phrase that got all the Chrome users in such a huff.

Gmail has a clause that supersedes the TOS though, fortunately:

Gmail is available across all your devices Android, iOS, and desktop devices. Sort, collaborate or call a friend without leaving your inbox.

"Your Intellectual Property Rights. Google does not claim any ownership in any of the content, including any text, data, information, images, photographs, music, sound, video, or other material, that you upload, transmit or store in your Gmail account. We will not use any of your content for any purpose except to provide you with the Service."

Comment

How about the EULA? They own your content.
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                How about the EULA? They own your content.

The content section, section 11, for the Chrome EULA now reads:

Chrome is the official web browser from Google, built to be fast, secure, and customizable. Download now and make it yours.

8. Content in the Services [added to define "Content" in section 11]

8.1 You understand that all information (such as data files, written text, computer software, music, audio files or other sounds, photographs, videos or other images) which you may have access to as part of, or through your use of, the Services are the sole responsibility of the person from which such content originated. All such information is referred to below as the “Content”.

11. Content license from you

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services.
                This section supersedes all other Google terms of service, meaning Google cannot claim any rights to content posted by Chrome. From the Google general TOS:

1. Your relationship with Google

1.1 Your use of Google’s products, software, services and web sites (referred to collectively as the “Services” in this document and excluding any services provided to you by Google under a separate written agreement) is subject to the terms of a legal agreement between you and Google.
                Gmail has a similar clause that overrides the content rights section of the general TOS as well.
                Last edited by Jammrock; 4 September 2008, 13:42.

Comment

Working...
                X