Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Random Reboots, AVG8 and memory voltage...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely sounds like a gamey memory stick. Did you try pulling individual RAM modules and swapping with known good modules to see if the problem recurred?

Irreproducable errors and random reboots and weird data corruption are often signs of a gamey memory module.

And yeah, I know about regular backups.

Kevin

Comment

The Dominator memory iss brand new....and i'm currently only running two of them...
      So it might well be a dodgy memory stick...

Memtest doesn't seem to work as good as it used to, the bootable CD.
      on my last two PC's it just crapped out immediately...and i dont think theyve updated it for a while...

as for 'known good modules', none of my modules are really 'known good'...
      Apart from the brand new ones which should be...

At the moment, i'm just emptying the four 250Gb drives onto two 500Gb drives to remake the 4 disk RAID....two hours to fully format in 64K clusters, and two hours to transfer the data...4 hours per drive...
      Done one already, just one more to go...

The 4870 1Gb is just waiting to be mounted
      I'll probably put it in and give it a whirl with only 1 hdd attached and no OC to see if it works properly...later on today.
      PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
      Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
      +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Later on today became late at night...
        It wasn't 4 hours per disk but 6, so, super long.

The quad is back up, and fine.
        New bios 1207 for all those Maximus Formula buddies....
        All at stock, and 4870 in tow.
        Waiting for the Corsair 1KW PSU tomorrow...

The 4870 on standard aircooling is f*cking very very hot.
        I've set it to 50% so it won't catch fire, but on stock, the back of the GPU is too hot to touch...

A new fresh XP install, and all is fine, got the right install sequence this time.
        Install, rthen sp3, the intel inf, then raid driver, then network driver, then gpu diver, then windows update until the cows cone home, then sound card...then codecs, winamp first, then klite codec pack. still only got 2 of the 4 gigs installed ftm...

wait for psu.
        edit : should arrive tomorrow...
        Last edited by Evildead666; 21 September 2008, 14:09.
        PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.

Comment

New 1KW psu and still get the reboot, but only when transferring large files via the network.
          Its an intel PCIe adapter Pro 1000 PT i think.

The drivers are pretty recent, and its my last problem.
          apart from that, its fine.
          Have yet to game on it, but waiting for amex bill before going any further...

Still have my steam games tho...

edit : standard voltages are much better with the 1207 bios...1.3 instead of 1.6V for the NB...

Comment

Working...
          X