Open Office 3.0 released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Office 3.0 released

For those who don't entirely live in the Microsoft world, Open Office 3.0 has officially been released:

The official home page of the Apache OpenOffice open source project, home of OpenOffice Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw and Base.

http://openoffice.bouncer.osuosl.org...&version=3.0.0 (direct download link for English/Windows. The site is currently down due to volume)

A review on some of the new features and such:

I haven't installed it yet (I'll wait for the PortableApps version), but so far it looks much better than 2.x.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Does 'better than 2.x' translate into anything even remotely approaching Office 2007?
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

For the price it does And it has docx support. I haven't actually used it yet, though, so I don't have an impression yet. Waiting for the portableapps version then I'll update my portable copy on my USB drive.

Comment

Just installed it on the crappy computer I use here at work so I could read Office '07 .xlsx files and it runs better than OO 2 on my much faster computer at home.

Comment

Does it have meaningfull programming/scripting support like VBA is for MS Office products?

OO2, IIRC, had VBA licensed but no real way to have it interact with actual spreadsheets. Not sure about database. Is that the old Borland thing, what was it called?
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by removed
            I have never used that, because I had heard mostly negative reviews on the Open office. Now I think that it is ok to have that at least at home. Thatnks fo great news man. Rep added
            does anyone else suspect this post (which I've precautionary deleted) of being spam?
            Last edited by dZeus; 16 October 2008, 13:17.

Comment

I have one retail chain which puts OO on all their POS systems (management, who need to open and create documents have MS Office), for shop managers to open occassional excel or word file, while they spend most time using webified ordering page or proprietary retail software.

Comment

Related question:
                Does Office 2007 support any of the native Open Office Formats? I found the ODF filters for 2003 but it does not refer to Office 2007 either that it can or can not be installed into/on/for it.

Comment

Natively, no. The ODF extensions are here:

Sun owns/runs the OpenOffice so this is more or less the official Office to ODF plugin.

Comment

Working...
                  X