Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks VJ!

I finally hit the big "double nickel"

I guess I'm lost on this network issue...who serves up the dhcp info to your WM device?

I know that if i set my router to "router mode" and then release the ip(in the routers setup) as given from my provider, then there will be no gateway info

CC
    Last edited by Chucky Cheese; 17 November 2008, 07:32. Reason: ...and another thing

Comment

Well, I changed the metric for the WM connection to 10, it did require a reboot (windows says so), but now it does work!
      Only strange thing: when I do "route print", it shows both network interfaces having metric 20, despite the one being set as 10 (it still shows 10 in the interface!).
      Dunno if that is a big deal.......?
      (there are other entries in the active routes list with the same metric)

Thanks!!

MMM: I can imagine getting rid of the gateway on the lan would be the best option, but I can't seem to disable it. The router keeps adding itself as the default gateway...
      (router is a Linksys WRT54GC on firmware 1.0.3.0)

Jörg
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Now this is odd... Some websites work when the lan connection is plugged in, but others don't.
        So apparently, there must still be something wrong...

Jörg
        pixar

Comment

Even more strange: no matter how I set the metrics, if the wm connection has a lower value than wm connection, they are set as equal (and equal to the wm connection).
          pixar

Comment

ok, completely solved now!

I had to adjust the metric for both IPv4 AND IPv6, now it lists the correct numbers in "route print", and now also websites appear to work properly.

Contrary to before, the Network and Sharing Center also shows I have an internet connection (and multiple networks connected), which is also reflected in the tray icon. Before it still showed no internet connection.
            pixar

Comment

Glad to hear it is all working Funny thing is, I am working on an issue with mine as well, but haven't taken the time to give it enough thought yet. I basically want all local traffic to leave one interface and all internet traffic to leave the second interface. I just need to mess around with the route statement.
              Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Perhaps at home here too...

A colleague asked if it is possible to set routes so that access to certain servers is via a VPN connection, while for all other access is bypassing the VPN...
                So, is it?

Jörg
                pixar

Comment

hmmm, I don't know. My thought is, it might be possible with 2 nic cards. One nic would be bound to the vpn connection where as the other nic would not, but I don't know
                  Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

My guess would be that if you set the metric for the lan connection lower than that for the vpn connection, and then add routes for the servers you want to reach through the vpn, it might work....
                    pixar

Comment

It also depends on your VPN client settings. Most VPN clients, when configured with their default settings simply "go silent" on the network they are on while in the VPN tunnel: they can't see the network they are working from , and that network can't see them (directly, at least). I've done this on multi-homed machines before and it is interesting.

Most of the time, those settings can be relaxed, but then the machine is exposed no matter how many NICs you have.
                      Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

It is Cisco VPN. Currently, they support the default Windows VPN client (not the Vista one), but they intend to drop this support.

Main problem is that the VPN connection is dead slow, and there is a limitation on traffic. So when you need access to the servers behind the VPN, in practise you loose the rest of the internet as soon as you set it up.
                        Would be nice to have a workaround for that...

Jörg
                        pixar

Comment

Working...
                        X