Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System freezing betven system load and shell load!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System freezing betven system load and shell load!

Sounds like something in your old Config.sys or Autoexec.bat files , or maybe Winstart.bat (if you've still got em)

Macafee Virus Scan was the culprit when it happened to me. I had to change the executable that loaded prior to Windoze, and the problem was fixed. Those Old DOS startup files load before any Windows Autostart Progs.

Try commenting out each command line in these old startup files, one by one, and see if you can track the culprit down.

Reinstalls can do some really wierd stuff. You may be facing a clean install...you have my sympathy.
    Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
    CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
    Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Did you just add a NIC to that system? (NIC = network interface card, ie an ethernet card.)

Win9X boots much, much, much faster without a NIC. With a NIC, it looks as if the computer is frozen for about 30 seconds as it tries to figure out what it wants to do with the network. Drain bamaged.

Comment

Yes, i have a NIC!
      But i have had it for more than a year!
      And the delay comes betvean seing your wallpaper and the shell loading!
      Well it seems that im going to have to uninstal norton antivirus to see if its it that does it!
      But if its NAV that does it how do yo make the idiot not to do it?
      Funny thing is that i used MSCONFIG.EXE to disable config.sys and all the rest!

------------------
      INTEL PIII450 MSI 6163
      G200Mill 16MB SDRAM + RRG
      SBlive
      128 MB RAM
      19GB HDD Space! (6.4+13 quantum drives)
      SONY CDU771 32X SLOT IN
      SONY CRX100E 4/2/24 CDRW

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Nothing new in msconfig => startup? Maybe try looking in bootlog.txt to see if some special "feature" is being started that you don't know about.

BTW, I just had to re-install (1st time for Win98) because when the shell (Explorer.exe)would load, it would cause general protection fault in itself (ouch). Spent about a day trying to fix that.

John

Comment

System freezing betven system load and shell load!

I reinstalled W98 SE on itself and now it seems to freeze betwen load of w98 grafix drvers (IE: you can se the walpaper) and load of the shell!
          It does something with the HDD for aprox 10-20 seconds!
          Its driving me nut's since it used to take 60 seconds to start the 'puter and now it one and a half minute!
          It happens before any "Autostart" programs
          Like it was indexin my two HDD's!
          Any one got any god ideas?

------------------
          INTEL PIII450 MSI 6163
          G200Mill 16MB SDRAM + RRG
          SBlive
          128 MB RAM
          19GB HDD Space! (6.4+13 quantum drives)
          SONY CDU771 32X SLOT IN
          SONY CRX100E 4/2/24 CDRW

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
          X