Netgear NIC
    Tekram SCSI
    Maxtor 20gig ATA-66 7200
    IBM 14.4gig ATA-33 7200
    Creative 5xDVD- no card
    Plextor 8/2/20 CDR
    Kenwood 52x CDROM

Comment

Yes, time marches on, but I hope they are misinformed. I really would like to see the K6III-500 before the K6III is "put out to pasture". I need a faster CPU to replace the K62-350 on my second computer.

The silence on the K6III-500 is deafening. It was supposed to be out December 12, but never showed up. The Register put out that rumor, but has not said anything since. I think they are embarrassed to bring it up again after being wrong. AMD isn't saying anything either.

RAB

[This message has been edited by RAB (edited 24 December 1999).]
      AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Rab,
        At lynn computer,link in original post,they have AMD k6-3 400mhz,boxed 3yr warranty for $87.00,best price I've seen.
        The boost from 350 k6-2 to k6-3 400 is quite noticeable.(That's what I upgraded from.
        MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Comment

Honest guys, If you were starting out with a new MOBO Processor combo today, would you get a SS7. It's unusual to hear much enthusiasm about these dudes. Please note that I OWN one, so I'm not wanting to get into one of those wintel/nowintel flaming matches.

The boost from 350 k6-2 to k6-3 400 is quite noticeable.
          REALLY? For $87 I could put off a major overhaul for a while? Check my sig and give me some HONEST advice. alfie and rab, I trust you both, so tell all you know about SS7--I've gotten very tired of the conflicts and patches and was leaning toward a wintel bx kind of thing next.

------------------
          AMD K6II 333
          on SOYO SY5EMA
          128M 8ns PC100 SDRAM
          Marvel G-200 TV
          w/DVD HW Card
          Promise Ultra 66 HDD Controller
          Win 98--running 98 Lite
          (A GREAT program)

Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
          CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
          Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

Bixler - at the same clock speed, the k6-3 is supposed to be 29%faster than the k6-2.

------------------
            k6-3 450 @500 - tyan 1590s bios 1.16 - wdac310100 - g200 mill sgram w/8mb upgrade & bios 2.6-20 PD 5.41 (DISABLED) - AGP1x (NOT MY CHOICE) - 128MB 10ns sdram - sblive value 3.0 - 4 Boston Acoustics A40's - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access (28.8k for emergencies) - win98SE
            dx7 - V3 steering wheel/pedals - MS sidewinder PRO

abit kt7-raid athlon 1ghz quantum 20.4gb - 7200 + wd 200bb - 7200 rpm UDMA100-
            g400 max-
            256MB pc133 sdram - sblive value 3.0 - 4 Boston Acoustics A40's - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access - winME
            dx7.?- V3 steering wheel/pedals - MS sidewinder PRO
            Kensiko (Netpointe) scrolling mouse

Comment

Bixler,
              It depends on your applications,K6-3's in business applications and windows applications is excellent,my impression of it is,one zippy cpu!
              Checking AMD'S website I noticed your mobo is not on the reccomended list for k6-3's,however check your voltage settings and see if 2.4 volts is supported.
              My k6-3 is running fine at 2.2 volts,but you may need 2.4 to assure stability.
              It's an interesting point that,although super 7,had it's share of problems,the platform has improved considerably(new drivers,better support,etc.)
              It's a shame the k6-3 was,in many ways,overlooked,faulting it's fpu and not looking at the bright side.(speed,dependability,innovative design.)
              A virtual powerhouse on your desktop.
              For $87.00 it's worth the investment +$8.00 shipping.
              May be adviseable to check with Soyo and see what they have to say.
              MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Comment

Tim,
                I have a K62-350 and a K6III-450. The difference is huge. But there are a lot of other differences in my two systems that also contribute. ATA66 is one, and you've got that. A G200 vs. a G400 is another.

But even with your G200, you should see a big improvement. You will have to upgrade your mobo bios, if you haven't already, since it has to recognize the K6III. Also turn on read around write and write combining (those might not be the exact terms, but I don't have my bios handbook handy.)

Lastly, the newest versions of the K6III's are just 2.2 volts and should be no problem at all for your mobo. If you can find one locally, just look on the processor itself and it will say either 2.2 or 2.4 volts. The 2.2 volt versions are also a bit more overclockable. My 2.4 volt 450 will not overclock without slowing down all the bios memory timings, and that defeats the purpose. But even without overclocking, its much faster than my overclocked K62 @400.

So, yes, I think a 2.2 volt K6III is a good short term investment (but not the 2.4 volt)until you are ready for an Athlon. Wait until the VIA KX133 chipset is available to get that. Here in Atlanta, the local shops have 400's for $95 and 450's for $145.

RAB
                AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

Thanks Paul, Alfie and RAB. For less than a C note, it might be worth it. HMMM, I was kinda looking forward to the happy Mac-like world of no tweaks, patches, and reloads, but I can stand another year---Hell, I've had to become a junior grade mechanic to keep it all happy and working. BTW, I don't have ATA66 even though I've got a Promise. It's in to give all my IDE devices their own primary. I had three (DVD, CDBurner, PriHDD) that needed to be king of their IDE channel.

I think I'll check my wholesaler after verifying the 2.2 volt thing, and see what he's got in a K6III.
                  Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
                  Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

Tim,
                    I saw your Promise and just assumed your HD was also ATA66. You can get one of those for little more than a C-note, too. But then you are starting to get into some cash. Just stick to the K6III if you have space on your current HD.

Having their own primaries isn't necessarily the fastest. I got better HD Tach scores with both my HD and DVD on the same (and only active) IDE channel. Give it a try. You can always switch back. But with three devices, I guess you will have to activate at least two channels and that might negate the speed increase from having just one channel active. The latest VIA busmaster drivers are also getting better. So, you can get at least another few quarters out of the old computer.

Just think, when you get a new computer, you can keep the old one and start down the wonderful path of home networking.

RAB

Comment

K6-III even at 2.4 V is good, better than even K6-2 500 imho. I am using my brother's (used to be mine) machine in Win2k (btw 5.00 drivers don't work for me) and it is faster than my K6-2 450@500 same VA503+ mobo
                      [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                      Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                      Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                      Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                      Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

OK, Guys, I've bit the bullet. I can get all the K6III 400's you want for $80.00 through a wholesaler at my workplace. He says 2.4V is all he's got though.

Back to earlier posts, Someone mentioned that my SOYO MB wasn't on the AMD recommended list. I checked, and NO Soyo's were on the lists at all. The MB will support just about every voltage in the spectrum though. Any traps to avoid? I don't want to have to buy another MB.

Having their own primaries isn't necessarily the fastest. I got better HD Tach scores with both my HD and DVD on the same (and only active) IDE channel. Give it a try.
                        Hmmm. I didn't go that route for speed, but to eliminate stupid conflicts. My DVD needs a Primary IDE 'cause of the stupid ZORAN interface on my DVD board. MY CD burner wanted to be primary on a channel that wasn't sharing with my DVD (for smoother transfers, I'm told), and I just ASSUMED that I needed to keep my Boot drive as a Primary...that meant I needed three Primary IDE's the way I read it. I'm also told that Video editing works better when the two HDD's are not on the same IDE channel. So I've got a secondary HDD I use for storage and capture hooked to the Promise, and my CD Burner on the other channel provided there. Primary HDD on onboard IDE 1, and DVD Drive on Onboard IDE 2.

Recommendations for change anyone? I'm conflict free and running fast enough to Capture High Res MJPEG without dropped frames--at least as far as I can tell.

------------------
                        AMD K6II 333
                        on SOYO SY5EMA
                        128M 8ns PC100 SDRAM
                        Marvel G-200 TV
                        w/DVD HW Card
                        Promise Ultra 66 HDD Controller
                        Win 98--running 98 Lite
                        (A GREAT program)

Comment

Tim,
                          Your mobo is on AMD's lists,just not for k6-3's.AMD says it's approved for up to k6-2 400mhz.The bump to K6-3 is quite noticeable and I suspect your board can handle it.
                          Hey try it,if it doesn't work take the cpu back.
                          The reason the jump is so impressive is due to the 256 cache (full speed) on cpu,but you probably already knew that.
                          With the different voltage settings on your board,you probably have some wiggle room,so give it a shot.
                          Let us know how you made out!

Comment

It's on the way: For $80.00 + 4.00 shipping (oh, and $5 for a new fan.) Never bought a new processor without a new Mobo...somehow I think I'll regret it. But then, I've been looking for an excuse to slap something better in the Wife's machine.

The only difference in boys and men is the price of their toys.

Comment

A little note - since when has the Register been ashamed to be wrong? Since they make up everything they report, their 50/50 hit/miss ratio can't cause them any shame...

- Gurm

------------------
                              Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                              If only life were as easy as you
                              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                              If only life were as easy as you
                              I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                              X