ABIT HOT ROD 66

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Folks,

I switched from Highpoint's chipset (HPT66 on the HotRod 66 and BE6) to Promise's Ultra66. Here's the rundown:

- The HPT66 has better bus mastering. To demonstrate this, I set up a 8GB copy from drive D to drive E, both on separate UDMA66 channels. The main drive was on my UDMA33 channel on the motherboard (BX chipset). The HPT66 exhibited less system slowdown while performing this copy.

THIS IS THE ONLY AREA IN WHICH THE HPT66 IS ANY GOOD AT ALL!

Since Bios 1.11, Highpoint has chosen to fix bugs by killing performance. Currently, the Promise will perform drive operations twice as fast as the Highpoint. Bus mastering may not be perfect, but it at least works.

Until HPT fixes their BIOS, I find that I can't use their card at all, it's SLOWER than my BX chipset. And that's pretty sad.

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

I just installed a Promise Ultra66 and have had no problems. But I have had sonme real nice lock-up's in UT O/C @600 I really should disable the DMA when I'm there I guess.

------------------
      PIII-450@504, 128 HDSRAM, Asus P3BF, G400/32, SBLive!,Brand stinkin' new Sony G400 19", (no Dual head) Nokia 447Xi 17",AOPEN DVD-1040 10x slot,PLEXTOR 8x4x32 ATAPI CD-RW,PromiseULtra66, and some fish,

Comment

You can't disable the DMA on either the Highpoint or the Promise.

- Gurm

------------------
        Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

On the Drive in system properties, Taking out the check in DMA...

Comment

RE: UDMA and the Promise

You don't get the option in Windows Device Mgr. to do that with any drive attached to your Promise. They address this question in their FAQ's with the statement to the effect that "UDMA is the only reason you bought our card stupid, so live with it!"

[This message has been edited by Bixler (edited 03 January 2000).]
            Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
            CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
            Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

Call me Stupid !!! just got home and Wala no DMA setting for my HD, Stupid !

Comment

LAMFDTK:

Not you, of course ALL of us, and another company (Promise) like M$ that wants to do all of your thinking for you.
                Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
                CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
                Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

Working...
                X