Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asus socket 7 p5a mother board ..will it run 2x agp??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus socket 7 p5a mother board ..will it run 2x agp??

im using an asus p5a mother board,k62 400 cpu 128mb of ram I downloaded a utility to check how my matrox g400 32 mb non max card do..and found out that its only runnin on 1x agp anyway of making it run on atleast 2x..4x if possible?

The simple answer:

1x - Be happy you get AGP transfers at all with that board.

2x - Not likely.

4x - You ARE aware that no boards, even the new ones, are VERIFIED to be getting 4x transfers, right? And you are also aware that your G400 probably doesn't DO 4x transfers? Good, just making sure we're on the same page. For your reference, your motherboard will NEVER do 4x.

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

First, make sure you have the latest BIOS 1009.1 from ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIO...pset/ALI_V/P5A
      Then, get the latest 1.65 AGP driver from http://www.ali.com.tw

After that, follow the instructions at http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/004677.html
      (That thread doesn't say it but you must have "AGP Turbo Mode" enabled from motherboard's BIOS)

There's no saying if it'll work 2X; I have G200 and I know it doesn't. However, it may be different with G400.
      The reason 2X isn't enabled by default is because of poor design of Aladdin chips. Matrox boards are no different from nVIDIA's for that matter; both have problems running 2X on those mobos.

_
      B

[This message has been edited by Buuri (edited 04 January 2000).]

Comment

Oh, and 4X isn't supported by that board.

And if you're not familiar how to edit Windows' registry, I advise to forget the whole thing. After all, AGP2X doesn't offer that much of a gain nowadays and with your system, the CPU is the weakest link.

_
        B

[This message has been edited by Buuri (edited 04 January 2000).]

Comment

Working...
        X